*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/900088-The-Real-Meaning-of-Christmas
Rated: E · Book · Personal · #2101955
We live much of life amid unique choices. Joy is anchored in The One beyond our life.
#900088 added December 23, 2016 at 1:08am
Restrictions: None
The Real Meaning of Christmas
Two nights.
Two Christmas specials.
One point.

What is the real meaning of Christmas?

In the movie, How The Grinch Stole Christmas, the Grinch learned, that he could take away the presents from all of the Whos in Whoville, and the people of the town were still singing and enjoying Christmas because they were experiencing Christmas in their hearts. The Grinch took everything back and in the end he had his heart grow "two sizes larger."

In A Charlie Brown Christmas Charlie Brown gets depressed because of "all the commercialism." Finally, in exasperation he shouts out to the air in front of his buddy, Linus. "Isn't there anyone who knows what Christmas is all about?"

Linus, then, proceeds to take center stage and ask for lights. In the spotlight he repeats Luke 2:8-14, "And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night. And lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them: and they were sore afraid. And the angel said unto them, 'Fear not: for behold, I bring unto you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. For unto you is born this day in the City of David a Savior, which is Christ the Lord. And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger.' And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host, praising God, and saying, 'Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.'"

Linus follows this with the statement, "That's what Christmas is all about, Charlie Brown." In the end Charlie Brown learns, that Christmas is focused on selfless giving for the betterment of others. This is why Jesus Christ was born in a manger, lived His perfect life, died on the cross and rose from the dead on the third day to New Life, that never dies.

Christmas about self misses the point and leaves us empty.

Christmas, that is about others, especially about GOD Himself, sees the Truth and leads to fullest life.

"Olden times and ancient rhymes
Of love and dreams to share.
" (from "Christmas Time is Here" by Lee Mendelson & Vince Guaraldi)

"The joy of Christmas
Stays here inside us
Fills each and every heart with love
" (from "Where Are You Christmas?" by James Horner, Will Jennings and Mariah Carey)

May you know the JOY of giving this Christmas!
May you receive the REAL meaning of Christmas!


** Image ID #2106253 Unavailable **

© Copyright 2016 Jay O'Toole (UN: 777stan at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Jay O'Toole has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/900088-The-Real-Meaning-of-Christmas