*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/902122-A-Musical-Instrument
by Angel
Rated: E · Book · Personal · #2106234
30 Days Blogging Challenge
#902122 added January 13, 2017 at 8:18pm
Restrictions: None
A Musical Instrument
         On this day in 1854, Anthony Faas of Philadelphia, PA, was granted the first US patent for the accordion. He made improvements to the keyboard and enhanced the sound. Do you play or have you ever played any instruments? If not, what's one you'd like to learn? Bonus Points today for sharing a favourite song of yours with us that names any instrument in its title.          


Well, I was thrilled when I read this because I learnt something I didn't know. You might wonder about the excitement. I have been playing the piano since I was four; I had lessons but never took any exams. The last time I was graded was when I dared to go back to piano lessons at the time my children were learning. I was told that I was about a Grade 6; theory wasn't so great. Long and short of this was that I hadn't played the piano since I was eleven. So, you might wonder, how did I get to Grade 6 if I hadn't played for such a long time?

At the age of eleven my piano teacher left, no I wasn't that bad, she had a good reason, I wasn't the problem. I was left without a piano teacher; all the piano teachers' books in our town were full. A friend of mine mentioned to me at lunchtime in school, that she was going to Piano Accordion lessons. I asked her 'what is a Piano Accordion', she said 'come with me and find out'. I did and the rest, as they say, is history, I was hooked.

Every weekend I would take home a twelve bass accordion from school and practice. I'm sure I drove people mad but I loved it. The advantage I had was that I already knew the keyboard, this made learning so much quicker. At thirteen, I was asked if I could play for our local 'Over 60's Club'. I was so nervous, I'm sure they could see me shaking from the back of the room. They had a whip round and I went home with five pounds. That was a lot of money in the Seventies, especially to a thirteen-year-old.

I remember playing for family, my Uncle asking me one day if I could play 'Far Away'. I told him that I didn't know that one. He quickly replied 'you go down the bottom of the garden and play down there'. It's a good job I knew he was joking!

At the age of about sixteen or seventeen, I was working in a Music Shop and I was approached by a man who asked if I could start an Accordion Band to play in our local Carnival. I spoke to a couple of friends who I'd had lessons with, it turned out that they knew people who also played. They in turn also knew people and this was how our first band came into being. Sadly, I was to leave the band two years later as I was seriously ill.

I did, however, help start another Accordion Band later on, along with one of the members of the original band, by now disbanded. Eventually due to the ill health of several members, this band too faded away gradually. I now have a new venture; I have recently joined a Folk Band. I am now in my early fifties, shall I say, and I was able to say to my children that I was going out on a gig; my son, especially thought that was brilliant. So, perhaps now you can see why I was so excited about the theme of today's blog

I also have to say that I did take up the piano again, I play in Church and at home, both I enjoy immensely; my theory is still something that is need of improvement but I have to say that in my mind when it comes to music enjoyment is the important thing.

You asked about a favourite song with an instrument in the title and it has to be Billy Joel's Piano Man. This isn't just because of the title but because within the song itself there is an accordion player. Great sound in this song, piano, piano accordion and harmonica.



Group signature.



© Copyright 2017 Angel (UN: angelglory at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Angel has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/902122-A-Musical-Instrument