*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/902623-Recomposed
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #2107938
A new year, a new blog, same mess of a writer.
#902623 added February 6, 2017 at 7:01pm
Restrictions: None
Recomposed
Date: 01.19.17 -- Day 6
Music: Recomposed Vivaldi by Max Ritcher



This new-ish classical take on Vivialdi's work changed my life. The origins of how I stumbled across this piece I cannot quite remember, but after listening through the whole album, I became possessed by its splendor. It made me weep. I still weep every time I listen through it. As the seasons change, so do the moods, yet each season has it's own unique cadence. The swing from hope to despair it something else. If only I had found this when Ritcher gathered an orchestra to perform this live! My soul to have a front seat to that performance. (You can actually see it live on YouTube, but I would suggest listening to it without the live orchestra first just to get a feel of its glory, to create your own images in your mind.)

Beyond the music, one thing I keep thinking about is the demonstration of rage in writing, particularly with characters that do not know how to express that emotion. There's the passage written by Patrick Rothfuss, "There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man". It makes me wonder why that is such a powerful statement. Why is that profound imagery? And does that hold true for gentle female characters? Does anger coming from a gentle person make more of a statement than someone who is wrathful all the time? And is it all about presentation - cool and calm like ice or chaotic and spiteful like fire? [This entry doesn't go into the intersection of women, particularly women of color, being allowed to be angry without falling into stereotypical behavior, but I hope to cover that soon with more depth.]

It takes me back to this Irish soap I was watching several months back called Red Rock. A character named James McKay was a Guarda Superintendent out of Dublin, and probably the most sane fellow out of the whole cast of characters. He was calm and collected not knowing his mother-in-law and brothers-in-law were committing crimes left and right, using their money and influence to do so. What made McKay intriguing, at least to me, was the fact that he was a gentle man. He believed in what was right, tried to look out for those around him, and hoped his example would rub off on the other officers in his unit. Even his ambition and marriage struggles seemed so soft. So when the show got to the end of its first season, one of his officers is found to have been in an illicit and illegal relationship with a teenage girl. To cover his tracks, this waste of space committed several crimes, including premeditated attempted murder, all to keep his ongoing relationship a secret. But, like most overly complicated webs of deception, the evil man got caught. In the scene where McKay confronts this officer about all of his illegal BS, gone is the face of a calm, gentle man. He kicks ass, in horror of what this man has down while wearing a badge. It was probably one of the most striking scenes of the whole show because it's not what one would expect from McKay. It was effective as hell.

Two other examples that come to mind are both played by Taraji P. Henson (because she is an absolutely amazing actress, and I love her to no end) - Joss Carter from Person of Interest and Katherine Goble/Johnson from Hidden Figures. Carter was a by-the-book cop who could never let a piece of information go if it involved a case. One of the things I think people didn't truly understand about Carter was that she was a gentle person - to her son, to the victims she was able to get to after she started working with the Machine, those left behind after she caught a homicide, even her colleagues at times. Even though Carter was badass, she was also gentle and kind. So when someone she loved was killed for doing the right thing, she goes at her enemies hard. And her rage is both calculated and poignant, and with it, she was able to bring down a corrupt police organization almost entirely on her own. But with every move she makes, you can see the rage in her actions. This isn't just a mission, it's justice with serious teeth. However, even in that place of vengeance, Joss never loses her gentleness or her kindness. Unlike John, her rage does not change who she is as a person. I will always miss Joss Carter, and will be salty that she is gone.

However, in comparison, we have Katherine Goble/Johnson who is beyond the stars brilliant, living in a country that sees her as less than human. The organization she works for uses her her genius, but only later on gives her the recognition she deserves. Throughout the film, the viewer doesn't necessarily see her resentment, but they see the love she has for her family, her friends, and the numbers that few understand. Day in, day out, she puts in the time to engage in her love for mathematics as well as serve her country. It is only when this devotion is questioned that she loses her politeness to tell her boss and coworkers that their hatred was what was slowing them down, not her work. Her indignation and anger are righteous fire, making for one of the best scenes in the film. And what makes that scene so powerful is the fact that Katherine is a gentle person with one of the kindest of hearts. Everyone had to stop and take notice because of her core personality was as gentle as it was.

As an aside, all three of the women showcased in this movie were absolutely amazing - would highly recommend seeing the film and reading the book on these pioneering women - and all kudos to Octavia Spencer, Janelle Monae, and Taraji P. Henson!

Using all three of the examples I had previously written - James, Joss, and Katherine - I think it's telling how different they are while all being gentle folk. They each have different lives, different pasts, different motivations, but their commonality is their gentleness. That gentleness, when violated, also manifests differently given the situation. With James it's spontaneous combustion, boiling over like a kettle. With Joss it's focused fury like a laser with a fixed point. With Katherine it's a tipping point, a dam breaking into a flood. Each time it is planned or executed probably, it makes the scene, but it can be tricky. One of the things I read often from reviews of television shows is that emotions like rage or trauma seem out-of-character when a character deviates from their normal behavior. These responses usually bug me because they discount how big of a toll anger and trauma have on individuals as well as just plain character growth. Bob from Season Six is should be different from Season One because Bob has probably gone through some things over the seasons whether it's a comedy or a procedural or a drama. Someone becoming kinder or harder or finally giving into their anger isn't breaking character, it's growth. Joss getting angry not only highlights the events of her life, but also highlights how messed up a situation has become if she's visibly raging to the point of plotting and executing annihilation of corruption. I digress.

Rage is an intriguing thing, particularly as a writer. It has to be used properly and honed well. Too much of it, the anger loses its power to evoke feelings in the reader. Too soft with it, and there is not real punch to deliver. And with a person who is gentle in nature, the wrath has to be true. It's something to ponder carefully that's for sure.

*QuestionG* Do you think the adage is true - wise men fearing the anger of a gentle (wo)man?

*QuestionG* What are some of the best examples of a character getting angry?

*QuestionG* Do you think anger is utilized enough in fiction? Maybe too much or not enough?






© Copyright 2017 LdyPhoenix (UN: ldyphoenix at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
LdyPhoenix has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/902623-Recomposed