*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/904827-Argumentative-vs-Persuasive
Rated: E · Book · Personal · #2101955
We live much of life amid unique choices. Joy is anchored in The One beyond our life.
#904827 added February 16, 2017 at 8:20pm
Restrictions: None
Argumentative vs. Persuasive
"Son, when two people go to spoutin' off at the mouth, that's an argument. When one person is blowin' off steam, that's fussin'."

There you have it!

That was my informal introduction to argumentation.

However, argumentative speech supports the assertion with facts, whereas persuasive speech appeals to the heart and the emotions.

One may believe in the importance of the responsible care of the environment. This person can woo or shame others into getting on board with the environmental bandwagon. Many good things may be accomplished in response to this emotional appeal. Understandably, the reason for participation would be as the result of a persuasive presentation. Few or no facts may have been used to create the agreement.

On the other hand if the exact number of parts per million fluorocarbons are cited as the reason why unusual parts of the country are experiencing very warm Christmases in recent years, participation in the cause would have a much more factual argumentation to back up the reasons.

Scientific arguments and emotionally persuasive appeals both have their place in the world. The reason is simple. These appeals serve to motivate a very different individual. Left-brain thinkers need the factual arguments before the cause can be properly validated in their minds. Right-brain thinkers need to feel the emotional importance of a situation before they can put their whole hearts into supplying the needed help.

We need to be able to give an appropriate response for each kind of mind in order to garner the needed help to accomplish something as large as environmental care.

One would suppose that is why we have so many different types of restaurants in many parts of the world. We have so many different tastes. One flavor cannot "corner the market."

"Express yourself" is a privilege.
"Acceptance of your expression" is a gift.
"Embracing an acceptable expression" is a transaction.

This is my most recent signature, given to me by Jade Amber Jewel - Valentine's Day, 2017.

Signature for nominees of the 10th annual Quill Awards

*StarY* *StarV* *StarY* *StarV* *StarY* *StarV* *StarY* *StarV* I'm a member of the Rising Stars Program for 2016-2017 *StarY* *StarV* *StarY* *StarV* *StarY* *StarV* *StarY* *StarV*

© Copyright 2017 Jay O'Toole (UN: 777stan at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Jay O'Toole has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/904827-Argumentative-vs-Persuasive