*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/905789-Theres-a-room-where-the-light-wont-find-you
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #2107938
A new year, a new blog, same mess of a writer.
#905789 added March 1, 2017 at 11:56pm
Restrictions: None
There's a room where the light won't find you.
Date: 03.01.17 -- Day 21 (Day 1 of 30-Day Blogging Challenge - March Edition)
Music: "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" / Tears for Fears

To try and help with my writing happens, I decided to join "30-Day Blogging Challenge ON HIATUS. This is probably a mistake because I have little free time, but I want to improve my commitment to writing. Weirdly enough, I think this will be part of my Lenten obligation as I cannot make it to mass today for Ash Wednesday. Ultimately, I believe this will be cathartic for me.

*Pen* *Pen* *Pen*


Prompt: War Chest Wednesday - Is trying to colonize other planets for human settlement a good or bad idea and why? If it's good, what steps would you see having to take to go into something so big? If bad, what should we do with space programs besides replacing satellites every few years?

We are, as a species, a calamitous lot. Humans seem to have an imperative to own everything without truly thinking of the consequences. And colonization is been one of most destructive ventures with ramifications that can still be felt around the world to this day. The idea that we would one day spread that out into the universe seems unimaginable.

Space is such a wondrous, infinite place that seems limitless. Quoting one of my favorite shows, "it is the final frontier". Yet this space of terrifying beauty has rules we have yet uncover. Will we one day try to colonize space? Sure.There are so many events humans will one day need to prepare for, from the death of Sun to the collision of Andromeda and the Milky Way, if we make it long, we'll need more resources and land to live.This need will drive use to other Earth-like, which is why the discovery of the seven exoplanets last week was such an amazing thing! Yet, I do not believe we are morally prepared to make such a leap into the unknown.

Should we colonize space? No. Exploring space, absolutely, but we should never colonize it. Who are to make such presumptions as to claim other planets as our own? Especially when we have learned nothing from what our history of colonizing each other. Space programs should continue with their mission in exploring the universe around us so we can understand our place in the galaxy. As I said before, it is wondrous and mystery. However, we should resist the urge to claim everything we come across as our own, staking it out as if it were the property of our prospective countries or planet. Our first priority should be to learn and understand the vastness that surrounds us, and not go forward unwilling to see the potentially devastating consequences of our actions.


© Copyright 2017 LdyPhoenix (UN: ldyphoenix at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
LdyPhoenix has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/905789-Theres-a-room-where-the-light-wont-find-you