*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/906192-Breaking-the-Ice
Rated: 13+ · Book · Personal · #2113426
This blog shall reflect bits of my life...
#906192 added March 6, 2017 at 10:36pm
Restrictions: None
Breaking the Ice
I talked to Dad on the phone today. I mentioned that power of attorney might be a good idea to look into in case something happens like this again (a stroke.) I pointed out that my oldest brother is looking into such a thing for himself, and then I mentioned that my friend Larry had also suffered a stroke at a much younger age. I was alluding that it wasn’t about his age. I didn’t want to sound like I was preparing for his death or some related impending doom. I’m not.

They can fix a lot of things that happen to people. Sometimes it takes time. I don’t want it to be any more difficult than it has to be. I’m not worried about inconvenience for myself. I’m worried that should we face another thing like this that it won’t be the cake walk that this one has thus far been. Mom has been gone for years. It might not be so easy for a hospital or a bank to accept that I should be the shot caller.

When I brought up power of attorney he stumbled on the notion, not really expressing that he knew what I meant. That might be from any number of things. First, it might just be a normal lack of knowledge, or it might be from the stroke or simply from aging. I don’t know. He tried to mention his will, I think. He couldn’t think of the word and I didn’t volunteer it because I didn’t want to seem eager to address any of this.

I'll bring the wife and kids to see him this coming weekend. I'll talk to him about everything then.

It’s no fun looking upon something so arduous ,especially when you know it’s only the beginning and your struggling already.

Things are changing. I need to get ahead of the game.


© Copyright 2017 Fhionnuisce (UN: fhionnuisce at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Fhionnuisce has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/906192-Breaking-the-Ice