*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/906286-Thats-the-way-it-goes-itll-all-work-out
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #2107938
A new year, a new blog, same mess of a writer.
#906286 added March 8, 2017 at 11:34pm
Restrictions: None
That's the way it goes; it'll all work out.
Date: 03.08.17 -- Day 28 (Day 8 of the 30-Day Blogging Challenge)
Music: "It'll All Work Out" / Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

Prompt: War Chest Wednesday! - We are always learning. What are you learning now?

Right now I'm learning a few things. All of them have their own unique qualities.

Academically, I am currently taking a Lifespan Psychology course, which is nice. We spend a couple of weeks on each stage of life, and at the moment we're wrapping up our final module, although I'm unsure how I feel about the last assignment. One of the things we need to do to finish out the class is to complete a case study on ourselves. I'm terrified, but it should be interesting. That aside, when I have a moment, I want to rewrite the notes I had from another class on ceramics and working on a wheel, which I no longer am in due to health reasons. My hope is that when my hands get better, I can give the class another shot, and when that day comes, I want to be prepared.

On my own free-time outside of class and working, I have discovered "Great British Bake Out" (Baking Show in US) on Netflix. It's delightful! This is one of the first competition shows where I'm rooting for everyone, and there seems to be less drama than American competition shows. Unfortunately, I found this at midnight after a long bought of insomnia, and it was exactly the opposite of what I needed for sleep. I think I blasted through three seasons in two days. One thing I will say about the show is that I'm learning so much about baking while watching the contestants create their food. Pastry still terrifies me, but now I know what I need to do to achieve all those lovely golden layers.

I find that I've been watching different documentaries on food and cooking. Food is such an interesting commodity and art form. It carries so much worth in our lives, and we've come up with a variety of ways to make it more than just a delivery system of nutrients. Flavors, textures, presentations. How many dishes are there that connect to certain memories or different parts of our cultures and heritages? The taste of my grandfather's adobo or the smell of my mother's orange chicken. My only regret is not having a kitchen really designed to experiment with, but I want to get back in and play around with cooking and baking again.

If anyone is looking for any decent food documentaries to watch, I would recommend GBBO, a five-part series called "Cooked", "Anthony Bourdain's Parts Unknown", and "Chef's Table", particularly Nancy Silverton's episode in Season 3. And if you have any recommendations, I'd love to hear about them!



© Copyright 2017 LdyPhoenix (UN: ldyphoenix at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
LdyPhoenix has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/906286-Thats-the-way-it-goes-itll-all-work-out