*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/906365-mischief
Rated: E · Book · Experience · #2050107
A Journal to impart knowledge and facts
#906365 added March 9, 2017 at 12:44pm
Restrictions: None
mischief?
Tell us about a time when something that has basically always been a detriment to you turned out to be really useful.


This was done for Reeling in your readers character Yesterday we had high winds. Today Spring is pushing up onions in my garden. Tonight it is suppose to put down 4 inches of snow. The crocus are not up yet.


The Detriment: My own inability to walk in someone else's shoes. In life as you age people are quite free with advice. That is not really a bad thing unless they have a different life style from the one you are living. Lots of times, even now I don't make friends easily because I don't make myself fit into someone else's thought patterns and live there with them.

Really useful: It has given me freedom to choose a life style that doesn't suit everyone. I learned to run the tractor, farm, raise children who can think and make life choices that sometimes only suit me. I believe this is the way I was suppose to live.

I read today in the current Penn Lines Magazine, a repeat article from a March 1997 issue. Penn Lines is our monthly rural electricity magazine. It tells us people 60 years of age and older are moving into rural areas of Pennsylvania. "Many of those moving in are seeking more peaceful retreats from the nearby cities where they once lived."

I noticed that older pets who have always been house animals prefer to be outside sleeping under a tree. When I share, with aging people, many have exclaimed how much they enjoy hiking, walking in the woods and other outside restful adventures. I think the older you are the more you are drawn to nature. Or, maybe it is just because older residents have the time to notice nature. Look at the bird count which is completed every year by older Americans. In a community near us we have a group of older people that are concerning themselves with spring cleanup of streams and walking trails.

It made me realize I have always been here in the rural place, walking in the woods, building horse trails so we can take peaceful rides. Showing horses in my youth was fun but I always preferred peaceful trail riding.

I'm not unusual. Just too busy to notice time flying by. It's useful to know I don't have to seek a rural place to spend my older years because I'm already here. Farming for a women in my youth was often a strain now I'm glad I followed through.

I really did not have an easy time finding a subject for this prompt. If I find any real detriment I will let you know. *Laugh*

Happy Trails




© Copyright 2017 Apondia (UN: judithd at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Apondia has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/906365-mischief