*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/907734-QWERTY
Rated: E · Book · Educational · #2105953
One hundred facts that are interesting but ultimately useless.
#907734 added March 27, 2017 at 4:40pm
Restrictions: None
QWERTY
QWERTY
- history / technology -

There are several theories behind the original design of "QWERTY", the leading layout for Western typewriters and keyboards. The spread of the letters may have been intended to slow typists and protect the fragile equipment. The fact that the keys required for the word "typewriter" all sit on the same row could allow salesmen to impress prospective buyers with a quick demonstration. A new keyboard layout would have helped the inventors to dodge existing patents.

​The most widely-accepted reason, however, is that QWERTY was intended to separate letters commonly used in sequence, as two neighboring keys pressed simmultaneously had a high chance of jamming. While the advent of electronic keyboards has rendered this problem extinct, QWERTY remains the industry standard mainly due to inertia.


#086


© Copyright 2017 BD Mitchell (UN: anigh at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
BD Mitchell has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/907734-QWERTY