*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
5
11
12
19
20
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/908264-State-of-Grace
by Joy
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #2003843
Second blog -- answers to an ocean of prompts
#908264 added April 3, 2017 at 11:26am
Restrictions: None
State of Grace
Prompt: Leonard Cohen said, “A state of grace is that kind of balance with which you ride the chaos that you find around you. It’s not a matter of resolving the chaos, because there is something arrogant and warlike about putting the world in order.”
What is state of grace for you? Do you agree with both sentences in the quote, and do you think trying to put the world in order is arrogant and warlike?


=============

Our peace is usually interrupted by outer and inner conditions and circumstances to bring conflicting emotions and purposes. State of grace is the kind of grace or calm and flexible state of mind that we allow ourselves to experience by riding the waves, no matter how choppy the seas. In that, I agree with Leonard Cohen.

I don’t agree with his second sentence, though. Trying to fix something is not arrogant and warlike, but it shows courage and smarts; although I think, Leonard Cohen may be taking this concept as fighting against God’s will.

As to the origin of the term ‘state of grace’, state of grace is basically a Christian and especially a Catholic term, but the idea of it is prevalent in most other religions. Being in a state of grace shows being favored by God when the person acts as the result of the influence or spirit of God operating inside to fortify and toughen her or him.

According to the religious, God’s grace is freely given, merited or not. It means surrender to the higher power’s will without complaining, to forgive others and not dwell in negative emotions like fear, resentment, blame, guilt, anger, or shame. It also means being compassionate, thankful, and of service to God and others. In short, according to religious leaders, grace is the spirit energy that is given without any conditions on it, which leads the person to be in a state of grace.

© Copyright 2017 Joy (UN: joycag at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Joy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/908264-State-of-Grace