*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/909382-A-18-Words-1275
by jaya
Rated: E · Book · Educational · #2110197
A chain of vignettes.
#909382 added April 18, 2017 at 10:21am
Restrictions: None
A-18 Words-1275
Cathy came up to me Ashley as we were discussing Jonathan’s progress. Ashley was all hope and happiness with regard to the therapy she was following. She recommended a particular list of things he had to follow regarding diet. The usual bread and butter did not figure in the list. On the other hand, fruit like the papaya, melons of any kind, either water melon or musk melon, colored fruits like oranges, grapes and bananas were significantly framed in breakfast. Two or three eggs, sprouts and a drink made of almonds and a pinch of turmeric were added to it. At ten in the morning some fruit like apples, guava and grapes served in a medium sized bowl helped him retain a lot of stamina.
For lunch, chicken or mutton preferably minced mutton along with a large bowl of salad would keep him light in the stomach yet strong in the body. A light tossing of spinach with a pinch of vegetable oil and seasoning comprising of mustard, fenugreek, pepper and a small piece of dried chili could keep his digestive system healthy and active. Instead of eating rice or wheat or even bread made of all purpose flour, he should go for quinoa or bread made of buckwheat and maize or corn. This keeps his system free of gluten and other harmful ingredients that come with the diet.
My mom was very happy at the radical change in Jonathan’s diet. Within ten days he showed signs of great vitality and activeness. Ashley added at least three to four liters of water spreading over a whole day would do him good. It keeps the body cool and the mind alert and sharp.
Jonathan it seemed loved his diet and looked forward to eating it with gusto. His appetite improved and regularly he played volley ball or the newly acquired cricket in the play ground on the other side of our home. Aunt Sarah was very happy at the way things turned up for Jonathan.

Cutting across my train of thoughts Cathy asked, “do you know the latest development in John’s case, Jim?”
“No Ma’am. I am interested if you have some news for me in that connection,” I admitted.
“well, you know that we, I mean the bank on whose behalf Mr. Anderson was given full authority to act as per the situation, has appointed a lawyer to argue your uncle John’s case of theft and forgery .
But your uncle, generous as he was, had asked him not to bring severe charges against Oliver and Jake. So, all that the lawyer was left with, was to plead for lessening of the period of imprisonment or any other punishment that the judge decided to announce against the culprits.

“Oh yes, that is typical of uncle John. He has always been a man of sympathy and kindness. We have all benefited from him and his generosity,” I added having known of this quality in Uncle John personally.

“I am sure that is how he is. Well, yesterday was a busy day for all of us, I mean the bank manager, Mr. Anderson, your uncle John and the session court,” she paused. “ that’s the reason why I couldn’t make it to join you all earlier as we had planned. I am glad we saw the end of the case finally,” she continued.
Needless to mention that I was agog with curiosity and impatience to listen to the verdict of the judge for Oliver and Jake.
“ Oh, Ma’am tell us what happened in the court?” I asked unable to bear with the delay in knowing the final result of months long proceedings of the case.

“OK here is how it was. After listening to the plotting and conspiracies, cheating and betrayal used by the guilty party of the two and several others who were their accomplices, the judge has read out the punishment for each and every one linked with the case,” informed Cathy.
“Oh, it must have taken a long time to do that,” I observed.
“Yes, Jim. It did take a long time. The proceedings of the court started in the morning at ten and concluded at five in the evening,” she told us.
“you must have been truly tired and worn out by then,” commented Ashley.
“Yes, Ash, we were all tired but we were also happy that every single know in the case was undone by our planning and thinking at each step. John was there though he did not tell any of this to you. He did not like the idea of disturbing you all with the sordid affairs of the case. Those were his words, mind you,” said Cathy.
“So, then…” I looked at her with my question hanging in the air.
“Alright. I will not keep you guessing any more. Oliver and Jake got one year rigorous imprisonment each with a heavy fine for betraying John’s trust in them. All the others from the club personnel to the forging party got six months and a fine of twenty thousand dollars for engaging in illegal activities,” Cathy said.

“There is something more to add. John’s lawyer informed the court about John’s appeal to the judge to bring down the punishment before the verdict was announced. So the judge added that based on the appeal by the injured party out of sympathy and charity of thought for the future of these two young men, he is cutting the punishment down to six months only,” Cathy completed the sentence in one breath.

I was totally fascinated by the whole narration of what transpired on the day before in the sessions court. I could not believe that uncle John had undergone such a long day’s ordeal attending the court and making his case clear to the judge. What really impressed me was the way he could convince the judge of his feelings and ideas regarding the punishment to the culprit. Uncle John went up many rungs in my opinion.

I spotted uncle John and Elvira talking to each other under the magnificent Magnolia tree. Both were so much absorbed in themselves that they hadn’t noticed either me or Ashley approaching them from the other side of the garden.
When we were about few yards away from them, uncle John saw us and waved to us to join them. As we neared the other couple I blurted out,
" uncle John why didn’t you tell me about yesterday’s court proceedings. I would have accompanied you. It must have been very tiring and trying as well.”

He said, “ oh hardly that my nephew. All I did was just sit in the court room and listen to interesting if also slow proceedings.”

“Congrats uncle John. Your resolve to see the end of this case is truly admirable. It was so nice of you forgive the two brats so easily. Only you can do such things and none else. I am so happy for you,” I gushed.

“Oh come on Jim. Don’t make a mountain out of molehill,” rebuked uncle John.

I could see a look of total confusion on Elvira’s face.
“what is it John? Or shouldn’t I ask?” she asked him without hesitation.
I could see a new closeness between the two of them. I felt happy at this whole situation. A girl from uncle John’s past reappearing as a sweet reminder of his bygone romantic days, and that he liked to share his company and perhaps talk about more intimate things that I and few others did not know about, sounded like the beginning of an interesting, beautiful picture book romance to me.




© Copyright 2017 jaya (UN: vindhya at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
jaya has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/909382-A-18-Words-1275