*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/909442
Rated: E · Book · Drama · #2119033
Carl is attending his first year of college.
#909442 added April 19, 2017 at 8:06am
Restrictions: None
CHAPTER TWO: THE DORM
I put the key into the door but it wouldn't unlock. As I stood there shaking the door knob furiously I came to the realisation of using the key of my home. I guess I was the type of guy that would feel homesick the minute he drove out of the driveway. With the right key I opened the door and a small hall revealed itself. On the right there was one door, probably the bathroom. Once I flipped the switch on the left the hall a dim light showed up. The floor was a dark brown colour and it was made out of wood. It didn't look like the type of wood that would crack everytime you walk on it. It had small cracks for a pattern and there were some black 'burned' spots too. The wood didn't stop there. Vertical planks of wood creeped up the wall for around half of the wall. A faint white took the other half.

The bathroom was nothing special. A cabinet, toilet and a sink to wash your hands in. Next thing I saw were two windows with dark wooden frames in it shaped like a cross. They allowed light to fill the living room. The living room was a bit more special. A combination of old-fashioned tables and decorations with a glass and iron framed coffee table. There were two chairs, simple but comfortable. By the window on top of the sill there were two vases of different sizes with an aqua-like colour to it. There was nothing in it yet, 'A couple of fake flowers will do' I thought. There was a desk, a kitchen with a few cupboards, one large cabinet filled with tableware. Something you'd buy at Ikea. The bedroom was simple: a one-person bed, a closet for clothes and a small balcony. I could use that balcony for the occasional smoke, which I used right away after putting my stuff down.

The sun was still shining bright but fading. I looked on my phone, 5 PM. 'I should start unpacking my stuff' I muttered to myself.
It was nice to know that I lived alone in my dorm. Surely I had to pay more than others but it was worth it. I didn't bring much from home, my whole closet of clothes, a set of cups, my computer, household products and items and a couple of hair products. I didn't feel like eating yet, but I had an 'appointment', more like a coffee date out of pity, so I had to eat at least something. I took out a sandwich I brought from home, it was nothing special but the most edible thing in my dorm right now. I took a seat in the chair next to the coffee table.

         11 AM. Lunch time. I walked over to Sharon and Dennis. 'Hey Carl, what's up?' Dennis shouted at me. I told him there was nothing special, as usual. There was nothing going on in my life this point. It felt like I had reached an all time low. I was at the point of not even being cared about at all. While my thoughts faded I heard Sharon say: 'Carl, carl? Hello is someone there? You have to come to my party this Friday okay? It's going to be sick! 'Fine' I muttered. I wasn't into parties that much, dancing in clubs was more my thing. The bell rang, time for class again.

I woke up, the sun was no more. I rubbed my eyes, a little too hard because I felt dizzy afterwards. The clock had stopped working so I looked at my phone: 7:56 PM. 's***' I whispered. Quickly I started preparing myself for the 'appointment'. I took the highway and only did my eyebrows and hair. At exactly 8:00 PM. my doorbell rang.
© Copyright 2017 Commonwriter17 (UN: kooikerthijs17 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Commonwriter17 has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/909442