*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/910238-Vanishing-spray
Rated: 18+ · Book · Activity · #2120076
Collection of 31 short-short stories and some micro fiction. Easy to review.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#910238 added May 1, 2017 at 1:33pm
Restrictions: None
Vanishing spray
Chapter title: The Vanishing Glass

Source: Chapter 2 of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (Sorcerer's Stone in the US)

Main event in the chapter: Harry and Dudley are at the zoo for Dudley's birthday. Harry makes the glass on a boa constrictor's cage disappear after getting angry.

Vanishing Veronica

Let me tell you how exhausted I am because my mom insists I clean the bathroom mirror every day! And not just my bathroom that I share with my two brothers. Wiping up after brother number one sneezes makes me gag. Mr. I'm the oldest and entitled to everything, that would be Jacob, purposely spits his toothpaste goo from his mouth all over the glass. He makes sure I see him sneer, the rat.

Mom's bathroom mirror doesn't bother as much. I sneak around and look at all her fancy cosmetics and perfumes in bottles that look like they came from France. I'd like to know for sure, but other than the name of the perfume, I get nothing else. I bet she has some guy locked in the basement, and she gives him only cheerios and water to eat, while he slaves away to keep her calm.

Two things. Cheerios are my favorite cereal, and the box never runs dry. Wheaties are Dad's favorite. I guess were Dad's favorite, since he walked out on us six months ago. Totally my fault, I positive. I bump my butt up until I can sit on the counter top. From there, I snag the box. I shake it and hear more rattle than rustling. Or, more rustling than rattling. No choice but to peer inside.

When Dad left, I didn't believe it, so I checked how many Wheaties were in the box. At least half before Mom moved the box to the highest shelf. So what is that down on the bottom? A quick over-the-shoulder glance shows an empty kitchen and surroundings. I have to know what's in that box. My sneakers land on the wood floor with a quiet plop.

I remember Dad kept a flashlight in the second kitchen drawer, and it slides open on smooth tracks, no sound. Flashlight in mouth, I peer down, way down, into the depths. Something moved! No, scuttled. My stomach flips. Mom's feeding the slave in the basement roaches.

That's not the mom I know. Mine is sweet and kind. Unless she's moody, which happens a lot since Dad left. I pace for a bit and then tip-toe back upstairs, back into mom's room. Her bathroom smells like lavender, roses, green leaves, coffee, and what is that one odd smell? Here's a bottle I've never seen.

Oh, it's some sort of new cleaner for her bathroom mirror. Vanishing. I take a cautious sniff. That's the smell I can't identify.

"Candace," my brother who's king yells. "You missed a spot on the mirror. I'm telling Mom."

"You better watch out," I yell back.

"Why's that?" he asks, as he stomps into the bathroom and places his hands on my shoulders. Good grief, he's messing with his hair again. The guy has more products than Mom.

"Look, King of the Jelly world."

My crack earns me an Indian burn from Jacob. I won't wince, and I won't cry out. But it hurts!

"Hey, Jacob, I say, trying to keep the fear and pain from my voice. "Mom has a new product, and I think it's exactly what your hair needs." He releases me.

I spin and spray him, aiming for his eyes. I've been angry so long, with Mom, with Dad, with myself, the whole world! But I didn't mean to really hurt my own brother. I'm afraid to look up 'cause I probably blinded him. But he's not screaming. Positive it's safe to risk a peek, my eyes are slits to examine first his sneakers. Which are no longer there. Is it possible the Vanishing stuff vanishes?

"Jacob?" I whisper, and then call out loud. "Jacob?"














© Copyright 2017 Nixie Martell cheerleader (UN: nixie9 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Nixie Martell cheerleader has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/910238-Vanishing-spray