*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/911036-Strange-Coincidence
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #2076320
A third blog? A good idea? A fresh start? A disaster? An omen? ...who knows anything?
#911036 added May 16, 2017 at 3:37am
Restrictions: None
Strange Coincidence
The morning after my lockout I sat thinking how kind it was of a total stranger to risk life and limb to help out a silly old woman who'd locked herself out. I decided to purchase a bottle of wine and a thank you card to take to my rescuer across the way.

I knew the number of his abode and walked over the road to find his door. I discovered it was an apartment in a building with several others. I rang the appropriate bell on the outside of the building but there was no answer. I did not want to leave the bottle outside the building just in case it didn't arrive at the correct destination.

I decided I'd knock on one of the neighbour's doors nearby, of which there were several. Eventually I plucked up courage and chose a random one, not having a clue who lived there. An elderly lady opened the door and after explaining my mission I asked her advice as to what to do. She informed me the main door to the building of apartments was open so I should be able to go inside and leave the bottle of wine outside the gentleman's flat.

At the start of the conversation it had been obvious from the lady's accent that she did not originate from this area. Some accents I find hard to recognise, but not so an American one. I asked her how long she had lived in England and what had brought her to this part of the country. It transpired she had moved here 22 years ago with her husband after falling in love with the history and the beauty of this particular area. She lost her husband three years ago but continues to enjoy her beautiful home.

I then told her the story of my family and how my dad had met my mum here during the war and how I was born in America. I cannot describe the look on her face when I told her my family came from St Louis. What are the chances of two people living in the same tiny area of a small town like this in England both originating from the same place on a continent the size of America?

There is no such thing as coincidence they say.



© Copyright 2017 Scarlett (UN: scarlett_o_h at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Scarlett has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/911036-Strange-Coincidence