*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
5
11
12
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/911507-Fashion-Whats-that
by Joy
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #2003843
Second blog -- answers to an ocean of prompts
#911507 added May 21, 2017 at 1:21pm
Restrictions: None
Fashion? What’s that?
Prompt: Let's talk fashion trends
When you were 20, you wore what? When you were 30 you wore what? 40? 50? 60? 70?
Was it because it was popular or comfortable? What about right now, what are you wearing while writing today?


=====

Before Christ, Egyptian women wore cones on top of their heads with air fresheners inside them. Today we wear invisible fresheners applied by deodorants some of which may be considered as flattened cones. Not much has changed, has it!

Fashion is a fickle animal, but I never spoiled it by giving in to its whims. My mother, on the other hand, was so fashion-conscious that she made me wear gloves and hats when I was under the age of six. No wonder in my earlier photos you cannot see a smile on my face, but frustration.

Once I found out that savage rebellion worked, I got my way. Well, to a degree, anyway. After I left home and was on my own, I wore pretty much what I wanted to wear. It might have been something in fashion or not.

I can’t actually recall what I wore at what age, but I do remember large pads on shoulders after women’s lib surged into fashion’s consciousness. I recall reading an article by a designer who, then, said that the fashion industry brought those pads into the forefront to give women self-confidence, so they see themselves as large and powerful as men. In fact, those things were cumbersome instead of making women feel powerful, and they added an extra load on their shoulders. The only positive about those pads was making the shoulders appear larger and the torso slimmer. Leave it to the media and the industry to exploit and manipulate women for their own gain.

Since I have just stabbed the fashion industry, I have to admit to my shortcomings, too. I did wear stilettos in my younger years, at least once in a while, but I also wore short thin-heeled shoes, too. I used to like cowl necks and hooded long winter coats and fake furs, especially zebra because they were black and white, my favorite combination. I have also liked to match colors with whatever I wore. I still do.

Since we have moved to Florida, due to the change in weather, I totally did away with what’s in fashion. It is now shorts and tees and sandals and more cottons than any other textile. Recently I bought yoga sandals and I think I have discovered heaven on earth. They are like walking barefoot. My other preferences are V-neck sleeveless tees with pockets and Capri pants, which is what I am wearing right this minute, with flipflops, all in blues. In cooler weather, I use long pants and short-sleeved tees with a sweater on top. I think this will be my fashion as long as I stay in this climate and not bother with what the tyrant designers push on us, women.



© Copyright 2017 Joy (UN: joycag at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Joy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/911507-Fashion-Whats-that