*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/912146-J-1--The-Ramayana-Words-1600
by jaya
Rated: E · Book · Educational · #2110197
A chain of vignettes.
#912146 added June 1, 2017 at 3:36am
Restrictions: None
J-1 The Ramayana, Words-1600
The ancient Indian classical epics, The Ramayana and The Mahabharata make interesting reading for all. These are mythologies and as well as spiritual, material and metaphysical guides which have universal appeal. Like any other epics of the world the Ramayana and the Mahabharata are regarded priceless stores of tips for daily life, secrets of happiness for both spiritual and physical life. They talk about the behavioral patterns of life relevant to all ages and stages of human life. They advise us on how to react to happy and sad events in life that we inevitably come across. They teach us by example what detachment is and also how to gain it as we lead our day-to-day lives. Certain morals and virtues do not change. They remain permanently etched in the human soul and heart. They are as eternal as the sun, the moon and the stars. They have been in existence ever since life happened on earth. These truths and values find expression and manifestation in various characters of The Ramayana and The Mahabharata.

Both the epics, the Ramayana and the Mahabharata are immensely popular in India and those countries of the world which know and realize their significance. Both the epics were written in Sanskrit, the ancient language of India. They were written in poetic form. Hence it is considered a merit to recite them. Besides India, there are a number of countries in which characters of Ramayana are basic to their culture. Countries like Nepal, Sri Lanka, and south east countries like Indonesia, Thailand, Cambodia and Malaysia know of these epics and present them in dance dramas and musical compositions.

The Ramayana- (or the behavior of Rama, the gem of Raghu dynasty.)
The Ramayana which is more ancient than the Mahabharata was authored by Rishi (sage) Valmiki and the Mahabharata was written by Rishi Vyasa. Both were penned during the Vedic period of the Indian calendar and are considered prehistoric and ageless. However, there are some scholars who date the epic to few hundred years before Christ.

The authorship of Ramayana-
The author of Ramayana was Valmiki. He was a hunter and a tribal before he became a sage. By profession he had to kill to live. Once when he was hunting, as the legend tells us, he came across a bird couple in love. Without thinking much he shot an arrow at one of them and it died on the spot. The lonely single bird that was left mourned the death of its mate sorrowfully and cried tears of helplessness. Valmiki’s heart moved with repentance and sympathy for the lonesome bird. In that moment of bitter and deep sorrow he chanted a Sanskrit shloka (rhymed verse written in Sanskrit) describing the sorrow and love of the bird couple. Then he “saw” the story of Ramayana unfolding itself before his mind’s eye. Since then, he changed his means and ways of life and became a rishi or sage living in the forest always in the thought of God and higher life. That one incident where a one being hurt the life and soul of another being was deeply embedded in his conscience and made his mind and heart undergo a radical change from being a sinner to a saint.
So the argument is that Valmiki wrote the epic first, and then it happened as per his vision. This is just one of the many academic arguments that surround the epic of Ramayana.

The basic story of Ramayana-

Rama or Ramachandra was the son of Dasaratha, the king of Ayodhya, in the northern hemisphere of the Indian subcontinent. Dasaratha was an able and an efficient king. He performed a number of religious ceremonies called yagyas or yagas offering worship to the gods and goddesses of the Hindu Pantheon. He was also a great warrior and ruled his kingdom with discipline and was known to have followed the principles of dharma. That means he did his duty as a king lawfully, virtuously and ethically. He was duty- bound and sincere.
As luck would have it, king Dasaratha had no children for a long time. As tradition allowed, he had three wives, namely, Kousalya, Sumitra and Kaikeyi. Unable to bear the thought of dying childless, the king had consulted his priests and court astrologers regarding being blessed with children. His main guru and priest, Vasistha after examining the ancient Hindu Vedas and doctrines advised him thus.

“O the best of Kings! I have understood your concern and longing for children. After thoroughly going through the religious and traditional practices which were followed by your ancestors, I came upon a particular holy practice called “putra kameshti”. You have to observe certain strictures of food and sleep during the worship of the deities responsible for five elements we are surrounded by and dependent on for a happy and peaceful life, and all the rest of the gods and goddesses of the pantheon. On the day of the completion of these ceremonies, which will last for a month or more you will have your desire fulfilled.”

The king had agreed with pleasure to follow the scriptures and had a strong will to perform the yagna with devotion to fulfill his wish. For the next number of days as advised by his priests and gurus, king Dasaratha and his three wives had strictly followed the dictums of this ancient worship. Everyday all of them got up before sunrise, purified themselves and fasted till evening when the formalities at ended. Then they would a little of what they offered to Gods such as rice cooked in milk and jagery or just fruits. At the end of this very difficult yagna, a holy person called yagna purusha or a person who arose from the sacred fire and offered the king a silver bowl containing the payasam (rice cooked in milk and honey and jagery with nuts and spices.)

He addressed the king thus:

“O mighty King! Share this holy preparation of food with your wives. You will have your desire fulfilled soon.” The deity disappeared thereof.

On that night as directed by the holy entity, Dasaratha shared the fruit of his worship with his queens and slept the sleep of contentment and joy. He had made four portions of the food given to him and distributed it equally between himself and this queens. After doing that there was a little more payasam left. He gave that to his middle wife, Sumitra. She accepted it graciously with the permission of the other queens.
A few months later, news was announced from the king’s palace that all his three queens were pregnant. The period till the births of the princes was spent joyfully and with great celebration.
On the completion of nine months, the queens were blessed with baby boys. The eldest queen Kousalya had a boy with dark complexion, the middle wife Sumitra had two boys because she ate two portions of the holy offering, and the youngest wife Kaikeyi had a boy too. The whole kingdom of Ayodhya was beside itself with happiness. King Dasaratha gifted his queens with valuable ornaments and many more kingly presents. He also made charity offerings to his priests and the palace staff the people of his kingdom.

On the twenty first day after the births of the boys, the king and his queens performed the naming ceremony for the little princes. The eldest boy who was the most handsome and perfectly formed was named Rama by his parents. Queen Sumatra’s kids were named Lakshmana and Shatrughna. The youngest queen Kaikeyi’s son was named Bharat. The princes were good looking and cute. Dasaratha felt like the king of the world and his joy knew no bounds.
The princes were growing like young saplings that grow fast and healthy. What was remarkable was their camaraderie and love. They never fought and never had anything to argue or disagree. There was rare harmony among them which was a matter of constant surprise and pleasure to their parents. Their mothers enjoyed the playfulness of the children. Rama, the eldest of the princes was loved by all the three queens. In fact, Kaikeyi loved Rama the best. She gave him more love and devotion than she had given to her son, Bharat. King Dasaratha got utmost pleasure when he was with his eldest son. He loved him so much that he felt his life depended on Rama.

When the princes reached the age of four, their education started. Training was given in all the disciplines. They were taught by the best of the teachers in the land. At twelve years of age, the four princes were sent to gurukula or the seminaries of the sages. They had to spend next four years in the company of the rishis or sages learning various arts and skills such as martial arts and archery. All the departments covering the craft of warfare, war strategies and several other political, economic and social aspects of the rule of the land were taught to them. Their main teacher was Vasistha. He supervised not only the daily development of the princes but also took part in teaching them any subject he thought necessary for the future kings.

After four years of rigorous penance like learning the craft of political, social and economic application to rule of land, the princes returned to Ayodhya and to their parents. They were at that time sixteen year old handsome princes. Each one was an excellent warrior, archer and well trained in the rule of the land.
King Dasaratha and the queens were completely immersed in enjoying the

© Copyright 2017 jaya (UN: vindhya at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
jaya has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/912146-J-1--The-Ramayana-Words-1600