*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/912778-Day-38---The-Food-Companies-Do-It-and-So-Should-We
Rated: E · Book · Health · #2105270
Follow my struggles and triumphs as I attempt to gain a healthy lifestyle.
#912778 added June 8, 2017 at 4:40pm
Restrictions: None
Day 38 - The Food Companies Do It and So Should We
In nearly every food you buy, unnecessary ingredients are placed in the food. If you go to the canned vegetable isle and look at the ingredients label, you will be shocked to see how much sodium they have added. There are a multitude of added chemicals, cooking shortcuts, and dyes that are added to a lot of the food products we buy on a daily basis. How much healthier could we be if we bought whole raw foods and added ingredients ourselves?

Last night our menu said for us to have chicken and noodles with a side of carrots. Chicken and noodles is one of our favorite meals because it is quick and tastes great. We have taken our favorite comfort food and transformed it into a healthier choice and still try to limit how often we have it. Our food is beginning to transform with us. When we originally cooked it we used butter, flour, noodles, chicken, chicken broth, and pepper. Our new recipe takes the same exact foods, but a healthier version of them.

Our Healthier Chicken and Noodles

3 TBS Butter
3 TBS whole wheat flour
1/2 LB shredded chicken
24 OZ low sodium chicken broth
1/2 bag of Whole Wheat Wide Egg Noodles
Salt and Pepper to taste

*For this recipe we find most of our ingredients in the organic section of the grocery store.

On medium heat melt butter in a sauce pan. Once butter is melted add flour until all the butter has been absorbed. Add the chicken broth and shredded chicken. Let the mixture cook for 5 minutes to allow broth to thicken. Add a pinch of salt and pepper to taste. Turn heat to low, stirring occasionally. While the sauce is simmering cook your noodles according to directions on package. Once your noodles are finished cooking add chicken sauce to them and enjoy your healthier version of Chicken and Noodles!

Last night I took this recipe to a new level by adding carrots to the boiling water a few minutes before I added the noodles and it tasted great. If unnecessary ingredients are going to be added to our food anyways, why not buy the healthiest ingredients and add vegetables and other spices to the recipes ourselves. We would know what is going into our bodies and that we are optimizing our health.




© Copyright 2017 Carissa Jean (UN: carissasmith at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Carissa Jean has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/912778-Day-38---The-Food-Companies-Do-It-and-So-Should-We