*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/913975-J-24-Words-1900
by jaya
Rated: E · Book · Educational · #2110197
A chain of vignettes.
#913975 added June 24, 2017 at 2:57am
Restrictions: None
J-24 Words-1900
be able to kill the enemy. Rama learnt the famous string of mantras called Adityahridayam or the heart of sun and recited it for three consecutive days before his war with Ravana. Pleased with his devotion to the Sun god, Indra the chief of the deities had sent Rama a chariot which was fast and full of wonderful qualities. It also had an excellent driver named Mathali, who was Indra’s very own chariot driver. The chariot driver’s role in making the warrior win a war was of great importance. A skillful driver was he who knew how to maneuver his master from place to place. He should be able to guess the enemy’s moves and drive accordingly. Ravana went to the battlefield with great pomp and shouted for the princes of Ayodhya challenging them to fight with him. The brothers were eagerly waiting to kill him. When Lakshmana showed himself ready to fight with him, Ravana wanted Rama to come forward.

Fierce battle took place between the two of them. It went on an equal basis for a long time. Both proved excellent in countering the other’s arrows and astras. Ravana then started war by using his sorcery and magic. He would disappear suddenly and no one knew from which direction he would emerge. But in Rama’s case it didn’t prove effective because he had an excellent charioteer named Mathali sent by Indra himself. Rama proved a better shooter of arrows and could overcome the asura king finally. But he couldn’t still kill him. The secret of his death was revealed by Vibhishana to Rama. Vibhishana told him that Ravana had nectar in the stomach. He should aim at his belly. Rama did it and finally injured Ravana and he shot another arrow at his heart and that saw the end of his life. Ravana fell lifeless on the battlefield.

Deities and rishis appeared and praised the name of Rama and declared him to be a matchless warrior. Flowers were showered on Rama and the hymns of praise were heard from all directions. Deities appeared on the sky and blessed Rama and his brother Lakshmana. King Dasaratha too appeared and gave his hearty blessings to sree Rama. He said he was pleased and proud that Rama did his duty by upholding the name of his royal line of great people and he was a son par excellence. His request to the almighty god, he said would be just one and that was to have Rama as his son in lives to come.

Ravana’s kith and kin came running to the battlefield and mourned the death of their king. The last rites of Ravana were performed by Vibhishana since all his sons lost their lives. Soon after the last rites of Ravana were over, Vibhishana was anointed as the king of Lanka. Rama himself did the ceremony by anointing him with the holy waters collected from the rivers and the sea. He placed the crown on the head of Vibhishana and declared him the king and the ruler of Lanka. He asked Vibhishana to rule Lanka with peace and glory. He asked him to work to replace Ravana’s lustful rule with orderly and ethical administration.

Soon after the anointing ceremony of Vibhishana was over, Lakshmana reminded Rama of his most important duty. He said that his sister in law was still waiting in the open and she still didn’t have proper roof on her head. She was still unprotected by her husband. But Rama asked him to be patient and take the leave of Vibhishana to go to the Asoka grove and relieve Sita from the prison of demons.
Vibhishana took the cue from Rama and directed Hanuman to be on the mission of going to the Asoka grove and fetch Sita to Rama.

Hanuman was soon on the way to the Asoka grove. He was greeted by the citizens of Lanka on the way. Hanuman returned their greetings and went straight to the stone slab under a big Asoka tree where Sita sat waiting for Rama. Hanuman approached her and greeted her saying “Jai shree Ram”. Sita stood up in a hurry and greeted Hanuman.

Hanuman said,
“O mother, I brought you the news you were waiting for. Rama had won the war. He conquered the evil king Ravana. He kept his vow to kill Ravana by building a bridge on the sea, by coming to Lanka and by killing your abductor. Praise be my Lord. Ravana was slain by Rama and the whole demon army was conquered by him with the help of Lakshmana, Sugriva, Vibhishana and the ape army.”

Sita stood silent like a statue without uttering a single word. Hanuman was perplexed. He said,
“Mother, why don’t you talk? Did I say something I should not have said? Please say something.”

Then Sita came back to reality and said,
“Dear son, Hanuman it was unbelievable when you actually brought the news of my husband’s victory to me. How am to return this kindness of yours? I bless to be forever close to my Rama. May you dwell in his heart and may you serve him at all times. Please ask my lord when do I have the good fortune of looking at his beauteous face and take shelter at his lotus feet. My eyes are thirsty to look upon his unforgettable face.” She stood there shedding tears of joy.

Hanuman took her leave and returned to Rama and on being asked how Sita was by Rama he replied,
“My lord, she looked like a doe hurt by a thousand arrows. She was like a fish without the shelter of water.”
Rama ordered Angad and Hanuman to go to the Asoka grove and escort Sita to his habitat.

Here in the Asoka grove king Vibhishana sent jewels and valuable silk saris for Sita to wear as she was going to meet her lord Rama. Sita looked on those gifts and was confused and not in liking for wearing those princely decorations at that moment. Yet they told her it was customary for women to wear something decorative on such occasions.

There in his residence, Rama was waiting impatiently for the arrival of Sita. He was also wondering to convince the world of Sita’s purity despite being in the custody of Ravana for many months. He ordered Lakshmana to prepare fire through which Sita had to pass to prove her chastity. It also had another aspect to it, which we will talk about in a while.

Lakshmana got angry when his brother demanded for Sita to go through fire as a test of her virtue. He could not bear with the suggestion of Rama because if there was anyone to be tested for honesty it would be himself. It was him, he argued that should go through fire for letting her be alone and unprotected during which time Ravana had abducted her. He blamed his brother for being in suspicion of her character, which according Lakshmana was a grave error of judgment. She suffered yet she took the exile with composure. All her concern was for her husband and husband only.
Rama tried to stop Lakshmana’s tirade of angry words yet he waited till his brother satisfied himself by venting his emotions. He said he would like to tell something to his brother. Then Lakshmana was somewhat convinced and hurried Rama to reveal that which was in his heart. Rama told him that long before the abduction of Sita by Ravana he knew it was going to take place. So he asked the god of fire to protect Sita. Then the real Sita went into the fire to be guarded by the deity. What remained was her shadow. Now that the exile was over, Rama should claim Sita from the deity of fire.

Trijata and other demon women put on some decorative jewels on Sita before she met Rama after a long and arduous gap of time. As she was brought to shree Rama on a palkin, the ape soldiers were anxious to get a look of her. There was a lot of rush and tumble. Viewing the tumult surrounding Sita’s palkin, Rama asked Hanuman to tell Sita to alight from her palkin and walk the distance between the two of them. This would facilitate the lookers on to have a comfortable view of Sita. The assembled ape men were happy to have a look at Sita, Rama’s wife. As she approached him, Rama ordered her to halt and asked his brother Lakshmana to kindle a fire for her to walk through so her original would emerge unblemished and pure. Lakshmana was aghast again but he had to obey his older brother’s command. So he lit the fire and Sita walked in without fear or doubt. Her mind and heart were on Rama and her chastity and virtue were intact. She went in through the fire and was brought out by the god of fire pure and shining like gold. Then she approached Rama and their eyes and hearts melted into each other. Finally husband and wife met.
Rishis and deities showered flowers on the reunited couple. Fourteen years of exile and nearly three months of separation from each other took its toll on the couple. Yet they had the grit to withstand the buffeting winds of change and a lot of sadness and loneliness which set an example of fortitude, for humanity for all times.

After a while, Rama expressed his concern about Bharat. Bharat told him he said would sacrifice himself in fire if Rama didn’t reach Ayodhya the moment the period of exile was over. Hanuman offered himself to carry the brothers and Sita on his shoulders and bring them to Ayodhya. But Vibhishana solved the problem of reaching Ayodhya in time without delay. He offered an airborne vehicle called Pushpak which was in the custody of his dead brother Ravana. He said Ravana seized this vehicle from Kubera and kept it with himself. Now the time had come for it to be used suitably. Vibhishana also told him that he made this plan along with other leaders like Sugriva, Hanuman and Jambavanta. All of them wanted to go to Ayodhya with Rama, Lakshmana and Sita.

Then Rama asked him,
“All of you wanted to go with me?”
Sugriva replied,
“Yes, my Lord. We didn’t want to miss the chance of witnessing your coronation ceremony. The opportunity of being present at such an auspicious occasion is not available to the deities too. Now that we have the enviable chance, we all will come with you. We cannot let you go alone to Ayodhya.”

Then Jambavanta said to Rama,
“Sir, if you have any objections to fulfill this wish of ours, then we will sacrifice our lives by entering into fire.”
Rama replied,
“O No. I have no objection to any of your wishes. I will be grateful if you come with me. you have done so much to me that I cannot return your kindness. All my mothers, brothers and our priest Vasistha will be joyous to see you all.”

Vibhishana promptly got the Pushpak ready to ride. After everyone was seated on the vehicle that fly long distance in a short time and said good bye to the ape soldiers.
He told them that the ape soldiers had set an example for all as to

© Copyright 2017 jaya (UN: vindhya at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
jaya has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/913975-J-24-Words-1900