*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/915156-More-Kitchen-Experiments
Rated: 13+ · Book · Family · #2058371
Musings on anything.
#915156 added July 10, 2017 at 11:27pm
Restrictions: None
More Kitchen Experiments
         Dad wanted cubed steak and got it out of the freezer. So we thawed it out overnight. When I went to make the breading, I realized my almost full bag of flour in a sealed plastic canister had bugs in it. I had to throw it out and wash the container. I probably should have broiled or baked the steak, but I know the old man likes it fried. So I used cornmeal, which I had packed in zip lock bags inside another plastic canister.

         It was edible, but I can't say I'd prepare it that way again. The taste is different, of course. And you can't make gravy out of it, which is good for me.I used pink salt, pepper, turmeric, and oregano in the meal. I sliced a garlic clove into the oil, and put some fresh sage leaves in the warm oil before adding the steak. The flavor was pretty good. The surprise was the leaves remained whole instead of wilting. Fried sage leaves taste yummy.

         I'm getting more liberal with fresh basil, which is still growing nicely. Since I've pruned the sage plants, they're more productive. I weeded the chives and pulled out the dead looking blades. They're coming back, and are blossoming again. The cilantro is overgrown and dying. I didn't harvest enough in time. They all look so nice. And I get a little thrill from harvesting and cooking them and serving them to others.

© Copyright 2017 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/915156-More-Kitchen-Experiments