*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
5
11
12
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/916307-Influences
by Joy
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #2003843
Second blog -- answers to an ocean of prompts
#916307 added July 29, 2017 at 12:14am
Restrictions: None
Influences
Prompt: Who or what are the most important influences on your writing?

==========

Shucks! I don’t take my writing that seriously, but as far as people go, it was my uncle, first. Second, during my earlier teens, it was a poet, a friend of the family. Then came the lit teachers in school who really encouraged me without spoiling.

As to what, words always intrigued me. In the beginning, when I was a very small child, letters seemed to be mysterious, wonderful things; puzzles, in fact, waiting to be solved. I learned to read when I was 3.5, my mother used to say. I guess she had a hand in it, too, because she read to me a lot, from all kinds of books and not just stories. But then, everyone in the house was into books. I recall falling in love with The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry. I used to wish he were real.

Reading at an early age pushed me into writing, I suspect. Later on, when I turned fourteen or so, through a lit teacher, I discovered Dostoevsky. He’s the first real influence on me, and I began to read world literature like crazy. Around the same time, I read (or thought I read) Faust and I discovered Rumi, and with him, real poetry. Before that, poetry, with end rhymes and all, felt like a jingle. With Rumi, Emerson, Whitman, and others like them, I began appreciating the depth of true poetry. Then, for a short time, I fell under the influence of the French existentialists, too, but I recovered soon enough. Other influences as the result of my admirations followed.

To this day, I read a lot. Much more than I write. Therefore, I have to say reading has been the biggest influence on me, not just with writing but with every area of life.

© Copyright 2017 Joy (UN: joycag at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Joy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/916307-Influences