*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/916451-Love-is-the-power
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #2107938
A new year, a new blog, same mess of a writer.
#916451 added August 2, 2017 at 4:17pm
Restrictions: None
Love is the power.
Date: 07.31.17 -- Day 47
Music: "Take Me As I Am" / Henry Ford


So I'm doing that thing again. I had a short story I am in the stages of writing, which incidentally matches with one of the worlds I created long ago. That story was going to be a one-off. But then I thought of another story, which is probably going to end up be a novella. I mean, I should have known this was going to happen. Outlining is about asking questions. A writer is poking and pushing at the plot and the characters to understand what's happening. A push can get a scene to unfurl in the mind. At least that's what happens to me. So I pushed a short story, which spawned a novella, and poking that novella spawned another novella, and that novella spawned a campfire with my favorite writing partner in the world.

At first, I was fighting it because I had a goal, damn it. But now it's about letting that goal float away for another time because, honestly, my brain could use a little love.

The thing is I love world-building. Probably a little too much. If you ever have trouble with that aspect of writing, I'm your girl. There's just so much potential. Doing these stories is bringing me back to this world that is complicated and strange and complex, yet it is all too familiar. One of the biggest reasons why my brain decided that this was the time to come back to it was the fact that I have better questions than I did eight years ago. I've written more, I know more about the craft of writing, and I understand some of the pitfalls I had before. So tackling this again feels nice, different. I feel like I can do this story justice.

If only I could chill with the new story ideas...



© Copyright 2017 LdyPhoenix (UN: ldyphoenix at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
LdyPhoenix has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/916451-Love-is-the-power