*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
3
4
5
6
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/916813-Medicine
Rated: 13+ · Book · Family · #2058371
Musings on anything.
#916813 added August 4, 2017 at 11:37pm
Restrictions: None
Medicine
         Science is presenting us regularly with medicines that save our lives or make them more comfortable. But those medicines also raise a lot of questions and side effects. Once you start taking one or more prescriptions on a regular basis, you start to run into problems.

         First of all they interact with each other and over-the-counter drugs. You can't take certain pain relievers with some meds. I'm limited to Tylenol for instance. I take one rather innocuous drug, that is even available OTC in a lesser strength, but it exacerbates my blood thinner. I'm covered with bruises right now, while they try to adjust my dosage. I have to watch what I eat with that drug, too. Healthy foods have Vitamin K that act as a blood thickener, so they counteract my med. Alcohol affects medicine. Any doctor has to consider what drugs you are already on when giving you a new prescription, and needs to advise you on foods to avoid while taking it.

         However, don't depend on the doctor. Ask about side affects and read the literature. Nurse practitioners and Physician Assistants are less likely to ask the right questions or review all the facts when giving medicine. You have to be your own advocate, as I have been reminded once again. No matter how competent the medical practice, look out for your own welfare.

© Copyright 2017 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/916813-Medicine