*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/916885-Addition-to-Cinderella-20
by Joy
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #2088946
A folder for my writing August 2017 & July 2016
#916885 added August 6, 2017 at 7:14am
Restrictions: None
Addition to Cinderella 2.0
The man Charles was talking to was the same man Abigail had called Daddy. Cindy felt revolt against both men as if someone had put his dirty, smelly toes in her mouth. She looked down on her shoes to avoid seeing them but her stomach was heaving, and she couldn’t afford to vomit on her expensive new shoes.

So, she looked up again, trying to make light of it. This isn’t my problem. It is theirs. They are in cahoots with each other. She took a deep breath and smiled at Charles.

She smiled because she thought she shouldn’t looked appalled. She shouldn’t let the two of them catch on to the fact that she had found out about them. Charles’ two-timing ways and this other man’s helping Charles with his betrayal of Cindy. They had both backstabbed her while Charles enjoyed his aristocracy and acted high and mighty.

Charles’ facial expression changed from shocked to relieved and he smiled back at Cindy. Cindy acknowledged the presence of the other man with a nod and wrapped her shawl tightly around her as if for emotional protection. “Cecilia and I are shopping together, today, Charles. Are you discussing the new proclamation with this gentleman?”

“Oh that!” Charles seemed confused. Cindy knew there was no new proclamation, but saying anything and baffling Charles could cover up the fact that she had found out about Abigail’s existence. Was this because Cindy secretly hoped that things could be better in time since her very own family had turned their backs on her? But no, that wasn’t it. She wanted nothing to do with Charles anymore, but Abigail? She was taken with her, she admitted to herself, be it Abigail was the product of Charles’ betrayal.

“But why are you out shopping, my dear? Don’t we have enough people to do that for you in the castle?”

“I was bored and I wanted to walk some, and I also wanted to see my old aunt. I hadn’t seen her for a while, but she has passed away, and Charles, why didn’t you tell me?”

“Oh, I thought I did. Yes, I did. Don’t you remember?”

Of course, he had done so, but Cindy wanted to puzzle him, to get his mind off the fact that she had caught them conspiring against her. Let Charles think she was an idiot. It had always been easy for him to judge others.

“Milady,” interrupted the other man. “Sir William at your service. Maybe you should head back to the castle. I would be delighted to accompany you and your maid, since Sir Charles has some governmental issues to attend to in the assembly, and you shouldn’t be out alone without escorts.”

The jerk! But who knows? He might tell her something or other on the way, which could make her revenge easy.

“How chivalrous of you, Sir!” said Cindy, but not without hiding the sarcastic tone in her voice. “Yes, surely you may, but I have an urgent matter to discuss with Charles. Something that came up today.”

“Make it quick, Cindy,” said Charles. He had probably assumed something trivial that Cindy wanted like new mirrored walls or big flashy gazebos in the castle’s gardens. “Whatever you want, dear, is fine.”

“Whatever I want?”

Charles nodded.

“I met a little girl. Eight years or so. Her mother’s very ill. In fact, she may be dying. I was wondering if I could take the girl. Her name’s Abigail.”

“Don’t you have everything you ever desired? Now you want a child, Cindy?”
Cindy had thought Charles would snap, but he had only scowled. She looked at him hardly flinching and feeling contemptuous inside her.

“I want the child and her mother, Charles. In the castle. Should the mother expire, the child will have us.”

“If I may again, I was just now talking to milord about that very child, Milady. I am quite sure it is the same child you met,” said Sir William again.

“You know, I thought the man who grabbed the girl and carried her away, yesterday looked a bit like you, Sir William.” She stared at him for a split second. He looked back, his eyes red-hot. ”Silly me! Of course, people may look like each other,” continued Cindy, bitterly almost sarcastically. “I thought that man was her father, but a while ago, I met the little girl again and she said, she didn’t have a father. She didn’t even know who her father was. And now her mother is dying. No one is there to care for her.” She turned to the Prince who stood with slumped shoulders. “Please, Charles.”

She didn’t know that a child would be so important to her. Not having children of her own, she needed someone she could take care of. It had to be an incredible feeling that another helpless, flailing human being could rely on her for love and safety. Children were so utterly incapable of taking care of themselves. Kind of like her, Cindy, Charles’ queen. She had no one turn to. Family shunned her. Husband betrayed her. She had nowhere to go. Besides, the life in the castle was quite posh and to her liking. She didn’t want to leave her castle after so many years of taking care of it, and with alterations and improvements, turning it into a heaven on earth. Besides, Abigail could be a great help in making Charles feel guilty each time his eyes set on her.

“Lord Charles,” Sir William coughed and paused a bit. Then he continued. “If I may, Sir, Milady has a point. That little girl will need a mother very soon, and you would look magnanimous in the eyes of the folks. That would quench the gossip of his Lordship’s not caring for the common folk, which we were discussing moments ago.”

“Thank you, Sir William,” Cindy said, the man’s words clinging to her. How had she not heard of that gossip? Did her maids know about it? Why hadn’t anyone told her anything? It is not the end of the world. I can fix things. I can get Abigail, and I can take my revenge.

“Well, then, Cindy. Fine. Do as you wish, but I don’t want any kid underfoot in my castle. Keep her away from me at all times. Understood?” He nudged her roughly. Cindy kept her stance steady, despite Charles’ pushing. If Sir William wasn’t looking, she would nudge Charles back, but then, Charles could change his mind about Abigail just to get back at Cindy. So she turned to Sir William. “Shall we go, Sir? And may I invite you for a repast in the castle, when we get there?”

“I would be honored, Milady. Afterward, I will immediately attend to your wishes about Abigail. I’ll bring her to the Castle myself, personally.”

“You are very kind and efficient, Sir William. Thank you very much for your assistance.”

Charles stood agape, watching after her walk away with Sir William. The sky over them had turned hazy as if it didn’t care to be blue or sunshiny at all.

1187 words.

© Copyright 2017 Joy (UN: joycag at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Joy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/916885-Addition-to-Cinderella-20