*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/917952-If-not-youthen-Ill-find-somebody-else--to-undying
by Joy
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #2088946
A folder for my writing August 2017 & July 2016
#917952 added August 20, 2017 at 1:14am
Restrictions: None
"If not you,then I'll find somebody else"--to-undying
1108 words

With stout determination, Felicity fixed her gaze on Derrick. “That is exactly what I was hoping for, father!”

“First, don’t forget that only a limited number of basic moves you can do with this sword. The problem is your enemy knows that, too!”

“Then, how can I get the edge, father?”

“Think of a game of chess. You win through strategy, right?”

“Yes, father!”

“Strategy! Don’t forget that word, and first, don't waste breath on conversation while you fight. Witty repartees take your mind and focus away from the action. Swordfight is not the simple one-two-three-and-you-win process.”

“I thought as much.”

“And another thing. No pauses. Timing is crucial. Keep up an even lightning speed, but only after you master the moves.”

“I shall work very hard, Father!”

“Learn the basics of this sword first, what it can do and more importantly, what it cannot.”

“I know a bit, but not too much.”

“See the grip? It is long enough to accommodate two hands, but you can use it with one hand, too.”

“The blade is two-sided, right?”

“Yes, Felicity. That is why it is used in close contact for it can strike a massive blow, cutting limbs, slicing heads in one stroke. Thus, we shall begin with pell training.”

“Pell?”

“Thrusting, cutting, and slicing without causing injury to your sparring partner.”

“I wouldn’t hurt you, Father. I have been watching the knights practice…only at a distance.”

“Good, I only stopped to make sure you got the basic facts right. Now, let’s begin.”

In saying so, Derrick immediately began moving fast, using speed to draw closer to Felicity.

At once, Felicity tried to stop Derrick’s last move with a block, but her shield wobbled a bit. She was only half successful and berated herself. Yet, seeing the pride on Derrick’s face she grinned happily.

The movement of Derrick’s sword was too fast for Felicity to react next. It swooshed by her face. Derrick smirked and clutched his sword tighter.
“Don’t ever stop to congratulate yourself, Felicity,” he said. “You’ll give your opponent the chance to attack.”

“Yes, Father. Let’s do this move once more.”

“You are persistent! That’s very good.”

They repeated the move again. Although Felicity did better this time, Derrick still had the winning motion.

“Now you know why it is so difficult to defeat me,” he gloated.

“This isn’t going to be easy, but I will succeed, Father.”

“I am sure you will, Felicity. I am sure you will.”


While Derrick was teaching Felicity how to joust, far away in a distant land, a warrior of Derrick’s, Sean Gruadh sent as an emissary to that land’s king, was being held captive.

As the wooden beam that crossed the door of his cell was lifted and stowed aside, Sean rose to his feet, shivering. His armor taken away from him, the thin wool tunic he was left with let the cold and damp penetrate into his bones.

The guard opened the door as a torch's light shimmered through in the gap. Sean blinked, his eyes being more used to weeks of confinement.

Curious but wary, he heard the voices of the guard and another man who answered him, at times muffled, at times echoing. Then a shrill-voiced woman spoke. The guard appeared in the doorway and gestured for Sean to approach. Defiant, he stood back.

“You have to go to the King! Our King cannot come to you!”

“I came to your King bringing good will and gifts from my King Derrick. What he did do to me is going to infuriate my King Derrick. No, I shall not go to him. I demand the return of my armor and my friends.”

The guard stared at Sean as if not hearing his words. Without a word, he shrugged and stepped outside. In the next instant, he stepped back in and brought some stale bread on a tray and watered wine in a jug, placing them on the bench next to the prisoner.

Darkness. Again! Sean fell asleep.

The pitch-black dark of the night suddenly came alive with a dramatic light of a flame. Sean opened his sleep-heavy eyes and tried to remember where he was. What had woken him? He surely wasn’t at King Derrick’s court, eyeing the lovely Felicity.

Poor Felicity! The tragedies that befell her were the feats of devilish evildoers. Sean knew she watched him practice sword fighting with a fire in her eyes but couldn’t tell why that fire was lit. She certainly didn’t seem to mind him too much, in the ways of other women minded him, but he sensed she was watching his jousting from a distance. Thinking of Felicity made the muscles of his chest ripple as he ran a weary hand down his face.

Suddenly the wooden beam at the cell’s door was lifted again, and the guard rushed in, his eyes wild.

“Help us, Sir Sean, we need to save our people!”

“Now I am Sir Sean? I will do no such thing after what you have done to me, an emissary that I am, an honorable knight of King Derrick’s Court, and no less!”

But an ink-black smoke began pouring into the cell. It was everywhere, stinging his eyes. The sound of flames crackling and eating through the thatch stung Sean’s ears.

Yet all this noise did not only belong to the fire. He guessed there was a sea of swords striking on shields. People screaming with pain and fear in addition to the shouts and battle cries.

Yes, Sean was a seasoned warrior, who understood what brought about such cries, such battles. What could he do? He needed his armor, his shield, his sword. And this idiotic guard shaking with fear instead of going and joining the battle! He might as well. Staying motionless was riskier anyway.

“My armor?” he searched the guard’s fearful face.

“The armors of the prisoners, Sir, we keep in the hatch at the end of the corridor.”

“Show me!”

The enemies had filled the courtyard, swarming into a colonnade, swinging swords, hefting axes, setting fires. Not that this king didn’t deserve it either!

Sean found his armor and sword and joined the battle, not knowing exactly on whose side he was battling. His aim was to get out of this hellhole of a place with or without his men if only he could get his hands on a good sturdy horse. He could report this king’s atrocious behavior toward him, and if he is lucky, he could maybe catch a glimpse of the lovely Felicity.

If only he could get away from this land…
© Copyright 2017 Joy (UN: joycag at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Joy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/917952-If-not-youthen-Ill-find-somebody-else--to-undying