*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/917998-Uplifting-Story--Prompt-A-little-Squirrel-is-Granted-a-Wish
Rated: 18+ · Book · Activity · #2131782
A place to store my Game of Thrones writings.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#917998 added August 20, 2017 at 10:37pm
Restrictions: None
Uplifting Story Prompt: A little Squirrel is Granted a Wish
Uplifting Story
Prompt: A little Squirrel is Granted a Wish
Word Count: 1037

The colbolt hued goddess took a casual stroll across the vast, flowered meadow of the lands. One of her favorite pass times was to admire the various summer blossoms. Summer was always the most colorful time of year. The blues of the sky brought out the shades of green so nicely, only to be complemented by deep violets, bright yellows, and all the other colors of nature. She looked as stunning as the bright terrain. Delicate sections of her wispy, golden gown swayed and sparkled in the morning breeze, and her silken, midnight blue hair cascaded in waves down to her lower back. Her regal presence caught the attention of a tiny, brown squirrel, who had been waiting for hours for her to come by for her morning walk.

"Good morning Steel Blue Goddess." He scampered around in quick circles and zig-zags patterns, and then calmed himself enough to continue his conversation. He held his chin high, and took a deep breath. "Can you please grant me one small favor?"

The goddess halted her graceful stride, slowly surveying the otherwise peaceful meadow to find where that sweet and charming voice had come from. Her questioning eyes lingered for just a moment, as she gazed at the beautiful lake in the near distance. Morning rays enchanted the azure water to glisten like speckled stardust. Sea gulls floated just above, as they added their song to the breeze. Her gaze was abruptly drawn to some Orange Tiger Lilies. Popping up and down from under them, just inches from where she stood, was the tiny squirrel.

She grinned, "Hello my furry little friend. What favor do you wish?"

The glorious smile of the goddess relaxed his nervousness, though just a bit. He popped up and down a few more times, before finally stepping out into the clearing. He didn't hesitate in his well practiced request. "I would like you to turn me into a Kodiak Bear."

The goddess's eyes widened. "My dear, sweet creature, why do you desire to be turned into such a huge being as a Kodiak Bear?"

Little Squirrel bowed his head. He hadn't been prepared to explain the reason, but he wanted to try. He stretched out his leg, and circled a bunch of clovers with his toes as he contemplated what answer he should give. "Wa..Well." His shy voice chirped. Clearing his throat to find a voice that wouldn't squeak, he began again. "Well, Your Grace, it takes me so long each day to run the distance from my house to those trees..." He motioned in the direction of a distant clump of tress with his chin. "...To gather delicious nuts, and then I must travel back again. I get so tired afterward, that all I can do is sleep. Sometimes I feel as though all I do is run, eat, and sleep. I thought if I were a big bear, I could simply glide over there, gather nuts, and I might be back again within minutes effortlessly. Birds soar through the sky, deer skip through the grasses. I think it's not fair that I'm one of the smallest beasts in our land."

"Ah, I see." The goddess chewed her lip as she wondered how to explain to the adorable squirrel that it was a very bad idea. Did he not see that the bear would be lonely as the only of it's kind in the meadow? Would he be sad that he would no longer scale the small branches of plants as he fluttered about? Has he given any thought that his friends might fear him, and he would no longer skirt through the flowers? Still, the kind goddess didn't want to break his heart. She felt that he needed to find all that out for himself. Reluctantly, she decided upon a compromise. "Little Squirrel. I will, indeed, grant your wish, but for one day only. At this time tomorrow, you will turn back into the adorable creature you are now."

The goddess outstretched her arms with upward palms in the direction of squirrel. With her majestic power, a blue light as beautiful as her own hue, flowed out of her hands and surrounded the area in a warm, misty glow. When the gentle glow dissipated, a very large bear stood in front of her. Even in the bigger body, he was able to jump up and down in an excitement all his own. The goddess's smile beamed at the sight. "Little Squirrel, today you are Strong Bear. Please remember that you will only be the mighty beast for only twenty four hours. Enjoy your day!"

Strong Bear scampered around in a circle, stopping momentarily to bow to the goddess, and then he swiftly galloped over to the distant trees. His pace never slowed, and his smile never ceased. The air sang in his ears with the speed he was reaching. It was just as he hoped it would be. He knew he would enjoy his day, enchanted as a big Kodiak bear.

The next day he was once again a small squirrel. He recounted how the small nuts didn't fill up his large belly, no matter how many of them he ate. He resorted to catching fish in the lake instead. At one point, he fell into the water, and he frowned as the other squirrels laughed. It saddened him to see his friends dance around with each other so happily.


Although it was fun to realize his dream for a short time, it also made him see just how much he enjoyed his life as a squirrel. He didn't like fishing in the glistening lake for his food. It was nuts he loved so much! His bigger legs still tired as he ran, just like they did when he had been smaller. He missed his friends, and he missed being so low to the ground that he could smell the fresh scent of the grass and flowers. This experience brought wisdom and satisfaction to his mind. He now knew deep down that it was a squirrel he was meant to be. He would, however, always remember how the divine goddess granted him an amazing wish. Oh the stories he would tell!

















© Copyright 2017 Maryann (UN: mhicks at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Maryann has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/917998-Uplifting-Story--Prompt-A-little-Squirrel-is-Granted-a-Wish