*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/918385-When-my-dreams-come-true
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #2107938
A new year, a new blog, same mess of a writer.
#918385 added August 24, 2017 at 5:03pm
Restrictions: None
When my dreams come true.
Date: 08.24.17 -- Day 49
Music: "Today" / Jefferson Airplane




Today marks the thirty-day countdown to me going back to university. Gotta say, that seems incredibly daunting at this moment. I'm sitting here at my laptop, all patched to deal with a variety of muscle spasms, waiting for my green tea to finish steeping, wondering how in the world I'm going to be able to head to campus twice a week. It's funny how things can sound good at the time, yet can be pretty harsh in the light of day. This isn't to say I'm not going to do the thing. I am. I have to do the thing. My inner angels or demons or baseball coach or culture, whichever you prefer, demand that I do. I just wish it weren't such an uphill battle. So I'm going to do something that I probably shouldn't; I'm going to forget about it for a while.

Today also marks forty-two days until the new NHL season starts. I'm ready for hockey to return. I might even make it to a live game this year. The funniest part about attending a game nowadays is that I have to travel to another country to see the game closest to me. It's kind of hilarious that Canada is my closest option, but the arena isn't bad, and the last time I went I didn't get flack for wearing the opposing team's jersey. The Anaheim Ducks will always be my team. Fun fact: I am the only Ducks fan in my family. My father and numerous amounts of my siblings are LA Kings fans (my little sister is also a Edmonton Oilers fan because her favorite local team - Bakersfield Condors - are their AHL farm team; they are my arch nemesis besides the Blackhawks so that makes for lively family conversations). My mother is a die-hard Detroit Red Wings fan. I've been to more Kings games than Ducks because I'm simply outnumbered, but I hope to rectify that some day.

What will make this year interesting is the new expansion team out of Las Vegas. It's not my favorite city in the world, but seeing the start of a new team is intriguing. My little sister went to the new arena and said she liked it. Some of my friends want to do Vegas for vastly different reasons and are looking for someone to remain level-headed and sober. This is something I do often, mostly on accident, because I'm not a drinker or a party person but have a pathological need to make sure people get home safe. That's like a third of what I did while in Belfast, getting classmates back to the dorms from some wayward pub. However, with the chance to see a hockey game, I just might do the thing. Hockey makes up for a lot of things I'd rather not do.

So there's a little of the good. A little of the bad. A little of something to look forward to. A little of something to dread. There's a lot of life just being itself. And I'm upright, so that's something too. I'll take it.

© Copyright 2017 LdyPhoenix (UN: ldyphoenix at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
LdyPhoenix has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/918385-When-my-dreams-come-true