*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/920306-Keillor-Live-Show
Rated: 13+ · Book · Family · #2058371
Musings on anything.
#920306 added September 13, 2017 at 11:03pm
Restrictions: None
Keillor Live Show
         I saw Garrison Keillor last night in The Pavilion downtown. That's an outdoor theater a at one end of our main street mall (they bricked in Main Street decades ago). It was a great show and lengthy. He started by humming a note and walking from around the back and out into the audience. He hummed over and over and started singing "My Country 'Tis of Thee". The audience joined in. He then led us in Shenandoah and numerous other songs before eventually ending back up on stage.

         From the distance, he gave no indication of being 75, but he readily admits it. One story he told was about putting on underwear by yourself. The ones in his story were black briefs, and he got his toe stuck in the crotch. Much too late, he held up his hand and told us not to visualize this. His conclusion was that if you can put your underpants on without having to sit down and without falling onto the floor, no matter how difficult it is to balance, assisted living is not in your immediate future.

         About two thirds of the way through, he said, "Take a break. Stand up." He didn't take a break, but led us in more songs. He came down in front of the stage, while all the musicians went back stage.he then sang whatever he wanted, and we joined in without being told. We sang America, The battle Hymn of The Republic, some gospel, some Elvis, some Beatles, the Doxology. He said 25 years from now, no one will be able to go anywhere that everyone will know all the lyrics to common songs. Once we got started on a song, he would switch to harmony. At the very end, we sang again. This big crowd of people who didn't know each other just sang along and felt good doing it!

         He throws in a strange mixture of religion, history, sex, nostalgia, and swear words.A guy from behind me while exiting came up to two women waiting at a cross over and commented to them, "Well, now there's sex education for mothers and daughters." The two women who resembled each other laughed together. His stories are hysterically funny. The musicians are top notch all on their own. His sound effects guy has a great routine. He and Keillor make a great team.

         I'm glad he got bored from retirement, so that I could see this "Prairie Home Love and Comedy Tour". It looks like he'll be entertaining for a long time to come.

© Copyright 2017 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/920306-Keillor-Live-Show