*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/920493-S-17-Words-2000
by jaya
Rated: E · Book · Educational · #2110197
A chain of vignettes.
#920493 added September 17, 2017 at 5:05am
Restrictions: None
S-17 Words-2000
army and its commanders. All the warriors fell into a kind of stupor induced by that powerful astra of Arjuna. Looking at the dormant army of Hastinapur, Arjuna urged prince Uttar to go get the colorful anga vastras of the Kuru warriors. He reminded him of his sister’s wish asking him to get the colorful pieces of cloth from the men of Hastinapur. Anga vastras are pieces of cloth measuring about four or feet worn around the shoulders of the men folk. Prince uttar followed the advice of Arjuna and went to each of the greats of the Hastinapur to collect their anga vastras.

He collected a red anga vastra from Duryodhana, a pink one from Karna, a blue one from Ashwathama, a black one from Dushasana. He returned with a smile to the waiting chariot. the prince advised Arjuna to kill these guys. But Arjuna’s ethical sense would not allow him to do that. He said to the prince in an unhappy tone,

“Dear prince, I would not have made them unconscious but for you and for your sister Uttara. If I kill them now in their state of unconsciousness, then the future generations and my contemporary warriors will blame me for being unjust. I don’t want get ill reputation by doing something I ought not to have done.”

when the prince was about to take his seat as the driver of the chariot, Arjuna stopped him by saying that his place is in the chariot not at the place of driving which was his own. His father Virata and mother and sister would not like it.

Uttara kumara argued that he was Arjuna the great archer and warrior of Hastinapur. How could he allow him to be a humble driver? Arjuna convinced him not to be argumentative about it.

Before they returned to the royal palace, the message of their victory had already reached the city and the people of the country started full fledged celebrations. A lady messenger approached the king and conveyed the message of prince Uttar’s victory over the Hastinapur army and its great warriors. The kind could not believe it. He said he knew the prowess and ability of his son. He could not have got the success. Then Dharmaraja alias Kanku Bhattu said that with Brihannala by his side success was definite. The king made fun of Yudhishtar’s words.

After sometime king Virata started believing that his son Uttar had really won the war himself on his own. Then he ordered syrandhri who was standing by the queen’s side to fetch him dice with which he wants to spend time till his son arrived from the battlefield. He also said rather egoistically that he would let Kanku Bhattu to win the game because he did not accept any other gift from him. He would do that to celebrate his son’s victory over the Hastinapur army. Again Dharmaraja said that with Brihannala by his side he question of defeat did not arise. The king was angry and threw the pieces of dice at Kanku Bhattu’s face. It started bleeding where the skin split on Yudhishtar’s face.

Draupadi, who was standing nearby fetched a small bowl so the drops of blood from her husband’s face would not fall on the ground. When the king asked her why she was doing that, she replied,

“O king, even a single drop of blood from his wound should not fall on the earth of this country. If it happens then that particular country would fall to ruin.”

The king did not give much importance to the words of Draupadi.
The very next day was the end of the exile of the Pandavas. Before that Uttara, the princess of Matsya had discussed her marriage with Brihannala that was Arjuna. She asked him on whom should she put the varamala choosing him as husband.

Arjuna said that in the whole dynasty of the Kurus, there was no single warrior worthy of her hand in marriage. Only the grandson of Pandu and Arjuna and Subhadra’s son, Abhimanyu alone deserved her. Uttara was happy and looked forward for her parents to arrange the match between her and Abhimanyu.

The Pandavas had attained their real form on the next day. Each of them shone like a king and a warrior. When the king saw Kanku Bhattu wearing kingly clothes and a crown on his head, he made fun and asked him since when did he imagine himself to be a king. But Arjuna who was standing by his brother Yudhishtar said,

“O king, Kanku Bhattu is none other than Yudhishtar, the king of Indraprastha. He is a great warrior and a man of matchless righteousness. He is the synonym for truth and ethics and justice.”

King Virata still could not believe the words thus spoken by Arjuna. He said,
“The next thing you will tell me is that tall man standing by Kanku is Bhima.”

Arjuna reiterated,
“That is true O king. He is Bhima so far served you Vallabha, your cook.”

Arjuna continued introducing Nakula and Sahadeva and himself as Arjuna, the wearer of the mighty bow, Gandiva.
King Virata had another doubt.
“What about Draupadi? Where is she?”

This time prince Uttara who knew about the fact of Pandavas taking shelter in their country told his father that Syrandhri, who was serving his mother Sudeshna, was Draupadi.

Finally, king Virata realized all the above details given by Arjuna and Prince Uttara Kumara were true. He apologized for all his misgivings and faults.

He joined his hands in supplication to the Pandava brothers and said,
“Please forgive me my faults and rude behavior. I am happy that I am now in a position to offer my daughter, princess Uttara to Arjuna as his bride. Then Arjuna said that they would accept her as their daughter-in-law. He would be happy to have as the future wife of his son, Abhimanyu.

Arrangements for the marriage of Abhimanyu and Uttara were in progress. Subhadra, Arjuna’s wife and the sister of Vasudeva Krishna was asked to choose jewels and clothes for her future daughter-in-law. Subhadra was not in favor of inviting the relatives from Hastinapur. her son Abhimanyu, and the sons of Draupadi known as upapandavas (junior Pandavas) went to see her. Even after years of separation, Draupadi was able to recognize each of her sons and the son of Subhadra, Abhimanyu.

Bhishma and others in Hastinapur had received the wedding invitation from Yudhishtar. But Bhishma was not in favor of going to Matsya desh(country) because he was afraid that after years of exile the Pandavas might not be ready to take in any kind of insult from Duryodhana. Duryodhana was not prepared to stay calm even under happy circumstances. His jealousy and possessive mentality would never allow him the joy of sharing good times with others.

Princess Uttara and Abhimanyu’s marriage was performed with gaiety and splendor. It was an eye filling celebration enjoyed by all those guests present on the occasion. Soon after the marriage was over and with the guests departing to their own places and homes, the Pandavas and kings of Matsya and Panchala sat together. Vasudeva Krishna, his brother Balarama, king Drupada’s son Drustadyumna, his other son shikhandi and several other well wishers of the Pandavas were present during that session.

It was discussed whether a messenger or envoy should be sent to king of Hastinapur, Dhritarashtra reminding him of the completion of the exile of the Pandavas. Also he should now return their kingdom Indraprastha back to them.

Some of the kings like Drupada said out of anger whether it was necessary to send an envoy to the evil minded Kauravas. It would be more befitting if they could launch a war on Hastinapur rather than sending an envoy to them. Balarama spoke and expressed his opinion that it would be better if they could send an envoy that could talk peacefully and avoid confrontational remarks.

There in Hastinapur, Duryodhana was most unwilling to have any contact with the Pandavas. He knew that his father would not say anything against him. He knew his father was like wax in his hands. He knew he was his weakness.

But the old king Dhritarashtra’s mind was in a boiling crisis. There was this ethical dilemma that was eating at the roots of his consciousness. On the one hand he was not able to control his own desire to possess Indraprastha and refuse giving it back to the Pandavas and on the other hand he was aware of the reality that his brother Pandu’s children deserve their part of their kingdom. In this conflict he sided his own attachment to desire and neglected the dictates of his conscience. In addition, he also suffered from attachment to his son, however evil minded he was.

A messenger from the side of Pandavas was sent to the court of Dhritarashtra. He was a principled Brahmin. He went to Hastinapur and was allowed to meet the king. He told the king that the Pandavas completed their exile of thirteen years as ruled by the conditions laid down before they lost in gambling game. Before he could further speak Duryodhana got up and said that the Pandavas did not complete their exile. He also insulted the messenger by threats and harsh words.

Kripacharya got up and told the king that the exile of Pandavas was over months ago and they have every right to claim their part of the kingdom back.

Immediately, Duryodhana got up and shouted at Kripacharya saying that he had no business to interfere in matters concerning Hastinapur’s politics. Bhishma chided Duryodhana for being rude to the priest of Hastinapur’s royal family. Duryodhana threw venomous looks at Bhishma and sat down in his place sullenly.
The priest went away unable to deliver his message properly. But it was clear to him that Duryodhana and his friend and warrior Karna did not want peace but war, for they were not prepared to part with Indraprastha.
After he went away, Dhritarashtra once again was caught in his inner conflict. His wife Gandhari came in and asked him to behave like a just king and not a like a father blinded by filial love which was his weakness. Dhritarashtra got angry and shouted that he agreed with her accusation. He confessed that he could not allow the Pandavas to come back to their kingdom because he himself wanted it.

Then he called for Sanjaya his charioteer and asked him to go to Panchala and deliver his message.
Sanjaya went to Matsya desh and met the Pandava princes and Krishna and others like Panchala king Drupada, and his son and warrior Drustadyumna. Drupada was impatient to have a war with the Kauravas and in particular with Drona with whom he still had certain vengeance to take care of. But Krishna and Yudhishtar stopped him from suggesting war and a violent means of settling score with them.

Dharmaraja asked him for the welfare of his uncle and aunt and cousin and foolish Duryodhana.
“Won’t you ask me about your mother Kunti, hey Rajan?” asked Sanjaya having been surprised that Yudhishtar hadn’t mentioned his mother’s welfare.
Yudhishtar said,

“I know my mother will be fine. She is in the sheltered security of my elder uncle. Nothing would happen to her welfare.” He had such trust in the king of Hastinapur.

Then asked Sanjaya,

“What is the message my dear uncle sent for me and my brothers, Sanjaya?”
“dear King, the only message he asked me to deliver to you is “give my blessings to Yudhishtar and his brothers. Let them be happy wherever they are””

Pandavas were silent at this meaningless message from Dhritarashtra. It only indicates his unwillingness to part with the kingdom of Pandavas. Obviously it was an indication that he was not prepared to talk any further about the returning of their kingdom to them.

Bhima and Arjuna, Nakula and Sahadeva were all disappointed and angered by the
© Copyright 2017 jaya (UN: vindhya at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
jaya has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/920493-S-17-Words-2000