*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/920594
by jaya
Rated: E · Book · Educational · #2110197
A chain of vignettes.
#920594 added September 19, 2017 at 2:27am
Restrictions: None
s-19 Words-2000
had to obey the command of the head of the state, Dhritarashtra. Bhishma and Drona and vidura were all hopeful of the good result of this significant move by the Pandavas. They desired for peace and happiness for all, not war. Besides, they knew that before the force mace of Bhima and the fierce speed of Gandiva of Arjuna, none of the Kurus of Hastinapur had a chance. They had neither the stamina nor war skills that the Pandavas had.
However, when they got the message of Vasudeva Krishna’s anticipated arrival in Hastinapur, the important people and ministers sat in assembly with the king Dhritarashtra and discussed the details of the reception they would offer for Krishna. Bhishma asked Duryodhana to hide his false prestige and be polite to the guest. Dhritarashtra ordered that all his sons would go to the outskirts and welcome Govinda and bring him with all music and flowers to the court of Hastinapur.

At the main entrance, Duryodhana would receive him and bring him in with respect and salutations, and he Dhritarashtra, the king would worship and make him seat in his presence with all royal respect. He would also give him a number of gifts in the form of material and human forms. Dhritarashtra also suggested that Duryodhana should invite him to stay with during his transaction with us because Duryodhana’s palace was much bigger than those of his brothers.

Vidura said,
“O King, don’t try all these gifts on Vasudeva Krishna. He won’t like it. Besides, it will look as if you are trying to bribe him. So just leave him be and let him do the business for which he is here.”

On the next day, as appointed before, Krishna arrived at Hastinapur and was received with much ado and grandeur. A cow was presented to him and Dhritarashtra asked him to have a meal with them. But, Krishna refused to do so saying that he came here only as an envoy and not as guest or relative. Therefore, he said he would stay with Vidura and take his meal with him. Duryodhana was angry beyond words and he accused Vasudeva Krishna being partial and rude. Krishna gave him a fitting reply by responding that he was on the side of righteousness and since Duryodhana was not righteous and wanted only war, he could not stay with him. The duty of an envoy was only to deliver message and bring peace as much peace as possible for the partied concerned.
Duryodhana was incensed with anger and told his elders that he would definitely make a prisoner of Vasudeva Krishna on the next day in the court. Bhishma, his grandfather dissuaded him from speaking such rude words for no real reason except for his ego and jealousy.

That night Krishna had his meal with vidura, the great soul. Vidura was a great devotee and sincere towards all. His hospitality and love for Vasudeva Krishna was comparable only with old mother Sabari towards Sri Rama in the epic, Ramayana and Yudhishtar’s devotion when he honored Krishna after the performing of Rajasuya yaga in Indraprastha, in Maha Bharata.

Both Vidura and his wife looked after Krishna with utmost attention, love and devotion. Their hearts were free of any kind of selfish thoughts and therefore were able to enjoy the company of Krishna the very avatar of Lord Vishnu.

On the next day, Krishna arrived at the entrance of the royal court and his name was announced in the court. He entered and on being asked to sit, sat down in his place. Then king Dhritarashtra asked him as to what message he brought from his dear brother Pandu’s children.

Krishna replied that he did not bring any message from the Pandavas. He came by himself. He was the carrier of his own message of peace for all. Then he talked about the benefits and blessings of peace and the harmful effects of war. Peace, he said was possible at any given moment. Anyone can bring in the message and try to establish normalcy and good fellowship among the people and the rulers. He suggested that Dhritarashtra should detain his greedy and jealous son from inducing war and blocking peace. As the head of the state he would be answerable to the future generations for every single bad and good event. The coming generations would question him as to why he allowed Shakuni to play a cheating game of dice while gambling with the Pandavas.

History will show that it was he who was responsible for Duryodhana’s immoral behavior when he asked his brother Dushasana to drag Draupadi forcibly by clutching at her hair into the court of Hastinapur. It also will question Dhritarashtra’s silent watching of the disrobing of Draupadi in the presence of all the great people of Hastinapur. After warning Dhritarashtra if there was war then he would have to cry on the dead bodies of his own children and those belonging to the other side. Then he asked him to return Pandavas’ kingdom to avoid uncalled for bloodshed, violence and death in war.

Duryodhana got up immediately shouted at Krishna that he would never allow his father to return the kingdom of Pandavas to them. Then Krishna said addressing the blind king of Hastinapur, Dhritarashtra,

“O king of Hastinapur, this suggestion which I am going to make, comes from me and not from the Pandavas. I suggest you give at least five villages to the Pandavas. They will be satisfied.”

Duryodhana rose like snake hissing out of its snake hole and said with anger spewing out of his eyes, spilling through his words,
“I will not let them have the space of a needle point of ground, leave alone five villages.”

Having nothing else to say or do, Kesava (the name Kesava came from killing an asura named, Kesi) or Krishna turned back and began to walk out.

Then Duryodhana with anger filled eyes commanded his soldiers to arrest Vasudeva Krishna.
They were about surround him when Krishna grew and showed his vishwa rupam or the shape that filled the whole universe. Everyone stood stunned at the awe inspiring and fearful sight.

This was one of the most talked of scenes in the Maha Bharata. Not everyone had the good fortune to see the appearance of Vishnu the god of the trinity responsible for the peaceful conduct of life in the universe. The light coming from him was too bright for eyes.

With this episode, where Krishna’s effort to bring peace to the land failed, the war between Pandavas and Kauravas had become a reality. It was no more a topic for discussion. There were no more options, nor alternatives left to avoid war. It had become a certainty.

As Krishna was leaving the court, Mahatma Vidura accompanied and begged him to find a way to find peace. He also asked him to show a way to the ignorant people. Krishna replied saying that he was trying his level best to guide people especially the king of Hastinapur, Dhritarashtra. He was concerned more for Dhritarashtra because he was the man accountable and responsible for whatever injustice that was happening between the Pandavas and the Kauravas. Duryodhana was not responsible for anything. For, he was not the main roots of the tree. He was only a fruit of the tree. If the tree needed to stand strong, then its roots needed to be strong. Likewise, if Dhritarashtra was morally straight, things would not have reached the point of war. He alone was responsible for everything. Those who could see what was happening closed their eyes to the naked truth too. So he advised Vidura to let the things take their own course. He should just bear with the happenings in Hastinapur and be patient.

As he was about to leave the palace and the city of Hastinapur, Krishna and the others saw Karna coming towards them. He came riding on his chariot and got down to meet Vasudeva Krishna. He saluted him and asked him to forgive Duryodhana for his impolite and immoral behavior with him and for the insulting worlds he flung at him. Krishna replied smilingly, it was not he, who was insulted but it was those who rule Hastinapur, it was they who sat silently through the unspeakable events in the court at all times and it was the old king Dhritarashtra who was insulted.

Karna’s story once again-
Krishna asked Karna to come with him to little distance. Karna was happy to accompany him on his chariot. Then they both got down and walked a distance.

Krishna said,
“O Radheya, ( Karna was the son of Radha, the charioteer’s wife) knowing that Duryodhana and Shakuni are untruthful and unrighteous, why do you continue to support them?”

Karna replied,
“There are only two things that I love in this world. They are Duryodhana and my mother Radha. I devote my service to Duryodhana because he was the only one who supported me when great people like Dronacharya and Kripacharya were insulting me by calling me the low born son of a charioteer. It was only Duryodhana who anointed me as the king of Anga and gave me equal status with the other royal members instantly. So dear sir, I am obliged to stay faithful to Duryodhana despite his faults. Secondly, I love my mother Radha because she brought up an orphan like me like her own son. I am always grateful to her.”

Krishna asked him if he ever thought of his real mother.
Angaraj Karna replied,
“Yes, there are times when I think of my biological mother. She must be from some noble family living on the shores of the Ganges. The moment I was born she gave me up because she considered her prestige and status more than her son, I think.”

“Don’t ever want to know her?” asked Krishna.
Turning towards Krishna, Karna asked him with his eyes full of anticipation, anda a tremble to his voice,
“Do you know her Vasudeva? Who is she? What is her name?”

Krishna said after a while,
“Your real mother is the mother of five warriors. These five warriors never tasted defeat till now.”
Karna became contemplative and worried.

“Five warriors? Are you talking of the Pandavas? Are you telling me they are my brothers? You are also saying that my mother is Kunti?”

Karna was stunned when Krishna agreed to his doubts.
“Who else are the five undefeated brothers other than the Pandavas, warrior Karna?”


Karna said,
“Who is my father?”
Krishna replied,
“He is your own favorite deity.”
Karna asked,
“The Sun god?”
“Yes, my dear Karna.”

Karna kept quiet with his churning inside out of his heart and mind for some time and then he said,
“Even then, Vasudeva Krishna, I would still prefer to be known as Radheya and none else.”
Krishna tried to convince him that if he was to fight on the side of Duryodhana, even after knowing his true birth and legacy, it meant he supported evil and unrighteousness.

“Yes, Vasudeva Krishna. I am helpless. I am indebted to Duryodhana. Nothing can shake my loyalty to him. Therefore, O Kesava, even after knowing about my birth and true heritage, I still will fight for my dear friend Duryodhana.”

He continued to ask Krishna,
“Hey Devaki nandan! Why did you not tell me the truth about my birth earlier? Why now?
“That is because till now there was no need for war. Now it has become necessary to tell you because that would let you know and understand on whose side you should fight, whether you will prefer the side of dharma or adharma.”

“I don’t agree with that. I have become indebted to Duryodhana for his generosity. I will be with him only, come what may. To me the question of being loyal to Duryodhana is more important than the issues of dharma and adharma.”

With that Krishna left Hastinapur. Now there was



© Copyright 2017 jaya (UN: vindhya at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
jaya has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/920594