*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/921770-On-the-Nightstand
by Tanith
Rated: E · Book · Writing.Com · #2135844
With coffee and writing implements at hand, I can determine the shape of today.
#921770 added October 9, 2017 at 8:56am
Restrictions: None
On the Nightstand
At some point I'm sure Neil Gaiman will explain why he chose to call his essay collection The View From the Cheap Seats, as of yet I haven't seen an explanation. This is my current book which lives on my nightstand and travels back and forth to work with me. Sai Gaiman has been a hero of mine ever since I first fell into the Sandman universe back during the Nineties.

I find it rather significant that his list of the three most influential authors in his youth...C.S. Lewis, J. R. R. Tolkien, and G. K. Chesterton--were all Christian apologetics. In fact, I am unfamiliar with Chesterton but will make amends on that count, having already added The Man Who Was Thursday to my ever-growing "to be read" list on my library account. While not a fan of organized religion in general, I can't deny the beauty faith has lent to the works of Lewis and Tolkien. That is the reason these novels have endured for so long, after all, and I'm glad Neil Gaiman realizes that.

He also touches on the importance of libraries and librarians in society, how genre does and does not affect the quality of a well-told story, and promises a host of other subjects to be examined. I'm looking forward to making this journey and seeing the world through his eyes. When not reading stories, the wannabe writer absolutely should be reading nonfiction written by those best at the craft.

© Copyright 2017 Tanith (UN: tanith49 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Tanith has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/921770-On-the-Nightstand