*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/922945-True-Confessions
by Tanith
Rated: E · Book · Writing.Com · #2135844
With coffee and writing implements at hand, I can determine the shape of today.
#922945 added October 31, 2017 at 8:51am
Restrictions: None
True Confessions...
Maybe it's all the "spooky", Halloween-centric stuff I'm seeing and hearing, and maybe it's just that I need to get this out there. I've got a secret to share...

...I've never been able to finish Half-Life 2, because the "zombie" noises absolutely freak me out.

Crazy, right? In my time as a gamer I've been roared at by Orcs, by dragons, by the very lords of Hell themselves. I've been verbally abused by sassy rogue AI's, and most recently I was threatened by a deposed war god. I should be able to handle anything. But somehow, my nerves simply tie themselves in knots even if I go to YouTube and listen to a video of the HL2 zombies in an attempt to steel myself. I'll boot the game up and think, "Okay, that's just some dev moaning into a mic, get over it." And then I decide quickly to do something else. There's some deep part of my psyche that just can't stand that sound. I know I could kill the game sounds and continue, but on general principles I want to get over this.

Perhaps I should view this struggle as a metaphor for a real struggle in my life. There's a number of things in real life I despise dealing with; maybe I'll eventually talk myself into dealing with both the imaginary road block and the real ones. Household clutter, at least, does not moan horribly at me.

Yet.

Happy Halloween!

© Copyright 2017 Tanith (UN: tanith49 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Tanith has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/922945-True-Confessions