*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/926613-1400-Hot-Wings-and-All-of-Lifes-Good-Questions
Rated: 18+ · Book · Biographical · #2044735
(Insert personal fiction here)
#926613 added January 7, 2018 at 8:50pm
Restrictions: None
1,400 Hot Wings and All of Life's Good Questions
FORUM
30-Day Blogging Challenge ON HIATUS  (13+)
WDC's Longest Running Blog Competition - Hiatus
#1786069 by Fivesixer


The Sunday News! Ok, I know some of you don't like this day...and some of you don't care about sports. Sorry then that you're stuck with me

...but hear me out, cuz we all want good news.

Buffalonians have donated over 300k to Cincinnati charities this week
, and sent a truck including 1,440 chicken wings

to the area as a thank you. For a fanbase that's known primarily for drunken exploits before games and throwing themselves through flaming tables, what do you make of this example of sportsmanship?

*************************************


Well then, here goes something (and please do hear me out)...

I don't know a lot about football. In fact, I know so little about football that I hadn't even stopped to think about how much or little I know about football until this morning. A love some sports - some of which I've been involved with over the course of my life, others I haven't. Boxing... MMA... Cycling... Gymnastics... Track... Crossfit...

I even loved what little "football" I've been forced to play in gym classes. But it's not a sport that I've ever really gone out of my way to care about. That's not because football sucks either. I've just never had a lot of exposure to it. My close family members never really watched it. My partner only occasionally watches big games so he doesn't feel left out of the conversation at work the next day. I basically only watch football at bars (because I love me some bar food and drinks), at in-law or extended family functions, etc.

Basically, I enjoy watching football when I do... but let's be honest (and don't take this the wrong way because I have the utmost respect for the effort and dedication it takes to maintain their physiques and athletic prowess), but when I watch football I basically see a field full of luscious glutes attached to muscular arms and legs running around tackling each other. All of the technical aspects of the game are lost on me, which is to say nothing negative about the sport. It's just not my bag - sports wise.

Glutes notwithstanding, this guy means nothing to me  

So, as one might imagine, I had to do a little homework on this one.

Also as one might imagine, social science nerd that I am, my major takeaway is... A bunch of stuff about organizational legitimization of social societies through charitable giving, involving the Catholic church and the Free Masons (Shriners specifically)... Basically a bunch of stuff I doubt anyone is looking to read (and more than I feel like writing) right now. So, I'll keep it to the more directly relevant stuff. Maybe I'll write about the rest later...

1) As luke-warm as I felt about it for most of the day, this is pretty cool. I'm trying to imagine this happening in certain other sports. It would be amazing. The 300k in charities was stand-alone effing awesome. BUT THE WINGS!?! That put the fun, light-hearted cherry on it for me.

I mean, look at this laundry list of stuff the Andy & Jordon Dalton Foundation   do.

Life should be full of good feels.

But to send all this (meaningful) good-will in the direction of a rival team's causes, instead of sending ire and douche-baggery. That's pretty big. We should see more of it.

2) Imagine Mayweather fans getting together (to do anything charitable, actually but I digress) sending McGregor's pet charity $300k? Nope! But it would be pretty awesome, wouldn't it? Shit, imagine how awesome it would be if the boxers themselves had each tried to one-up each other in the lead up to their match by donating successively larger sums to each other's pet charities (instead of trading coded racist and homophobic slurs), then stepping into the ring, having an amazing fucking match - then leaving with some measure of respect between them?

Imagine if someone sent Tyson a new pigeon coop (if he wasn't retired).

Heads would be blown.

And the thing is that, I don't think it's all that far-fetched. But the cultures around these sports are extremely different, so I wouldn't hold my breath.

Which brings us to...

************************************

All of Life's Good Questions

FORUM
Soundtracks of Our Lives  (E)
Sharing the music that makes us original...
#2144947 by Lyn's a sly fox


Keeping things light: this song is some several years old, but while I've only recently fallen in love with it, love it seems to be because I cannot get enough. Hope it brightens up your day as it does mine.

"What if guitars squirted sour cream and nacho cheese and pure sulfuric acid?"

[Embed For Use By Upgraded+]

© Copyright 2018 **Right*As*Raine** (UN: rightasraine at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
**Right*As*Raine** has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/926613-1400-Hot-Wings-and-All-of-Lifes-Good-Questions