*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/926874-Good-birding-morning-31-33
by spidey
Rated: E · Book · Animal · #2144519
a place to express my love for birds
#926874 added January 11, 2018 at 9:04pm
Restrictions: None
Good birding morning, #31-33
Correction: #31 is actually a Rough-legged Hawk, not a Harrier! A lifer! *Shock* They're considered "rare" for the area where I was birding. They typically spend most of the year in the Arctic but will come down into the US during Winter. A birding friend of mine saw the same hawk a few days ago, so it seems it has found a place to stay for a bit!

It's funny how after single digits with high winds, 30+ degrees F can feel warm! *Laugh* I took a long walk (about 1.75 miles in two hours) this morning at state game lands. On my drive there, #31, a Northern Harrier Rough-legged Hawk   flew across the road in front of my Jeep and landed in a tree next to the road! I pulled over and got a couple photos before it took off. (I saw a Harrier at the gamelands about 15 minutes later, and I can only assume it was the same one) Harriers are so cool! They're hawks with almost an owl-like face. Very cool birds!

Lots of noise and activity at the game lands this morning! Although it was a grey, overcast morning, there was lots of bird activity! When I got there, I heard Blue Jays and American Crows making lots of noise, so I figured a raptor was probably nearby. I heard #32, Eastern Towhee, in the brush. It's an unusual bird for Pennsylvania in Winter but I also heard it at the same location with another birder in December and he heard it recently, too, so I was sure that's what it was. I watched the Harrier fly across the field and land in another tree, the cause of all the noise. I don't know why Blue Jays and Crows love to harass larger birds... I guess because they can! *Laugh*

I also did a short drive through Tuscarora State Park to check that hotspot off my list for the year.

Later while driving for work on the other side of the county, I saw #33, an American Kestrel, on the side of the road (I saw a second one a little later, too). They're cute little hawks! I like them. *Smile*

I think I saw a Northern Mockingbird today, but I was driving past and I wasn't 100% sure. I think I'll wait until I know I've seen one to count it. *Smile*


© Copyright 2018 spidey (UN: spidergirl at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
spidey has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/926874-Good-birding-morning-31-33