*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/927381-Help-I-can-echo-Diogenes-words
by Joy
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #2003843
Second blog -- answers to an ocean of prompts
#927381 added January 19, 2018 at 3:42pm
Restrictions: None
Help? I can echo Diogenes' words.
Prompt: Since Megan raised the question yesterday about the organization in the kitchen, I'm going to take it one step further.
Are your husbands, boyfriends, roommates helpful or a hindrance when it comes to the organization overall? Do you split the rooms, tasks? How do you make it work?


================

Hindrance is more like it. No, there’s no job distribution either. I do just about everything or sometimes, or rather more so, do nothing. *Rolling* Hubby is a great guy but he’s older than me, which I use as his forever pardon. And rather than chewing the cud on the subject, I’ll tell you a story. Use it as an analogy.

Diogenes of Sinope, a.k.a Diogenes the Cynic, lived as a beggar on the streets and made a virtue of extreme poverty. He taught contempt for all human achievements, social values, and institutions. This story is attributed to him as if a legend.

According to ancient people, one day, Alexander the Great came to visit Diogenes. It was a sunny day and Diogenes, having scanty clothing, was warming himself up in the sunlight. Alexander stood up in front of Diogenes and asked him what he desired and how he, Alexander, could be of help to the philosopher. Diogenes replied, "Just don’t block my sunlight. I don’t need any other gift.”

This goes for me, too. No gift, no help, nothing. Moreover, I have been doing things that he used to do that have nothing to do with housekeeping. It is a miracle or a grace of God that I find the time to do anything else. *Laugh*

© Copyright 2018 Joy (UN: joycag at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Joy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/927381-Help-I-can-echo-Diogenes-words