*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/929886-HOW-TO-LET-GO-AND-LET-GOD---March-3
Rated: E · Book · Inspirational · #2095740
My daily devotional insights... and reflections.
#929886 added November 16, 2018 at 10:34am
Restrictions: None
HOW TO LET GO AND LET GOD - March 3

Letting go of my need to control others and/or situations
so I may live in self-control, peace and balance.

         A quote by Billy Graham:

Two conflicting forces cannot exist in one human heart.
When doubt reigns, faith cannot abide.
Where hatred rules, love is crowded out.
Where selfishness rules, there love cannot dwell.
When worry is present, trust cannot crowd its way in.


         See two readings from the Al-Anon Family Groups magazine, THE FORUM, March 2018 issue (pages 20 and 21):

         • “Taking Control of My Feelings;” and

…When I took control of my own feelings, I started to slowly gain back hope…


         • “When I Stopped Waiting for the ‘Big Plan’.”

…God whispered… pay attention to the people I put in your life today.

…Now I see… simple miracles happen all the time. For example, when I can see the pain in someone’s eyes, I bow down and take the time to listen.

…God’s mission for me is to be present for the people I encounter, not to give up my worldly possessions, not to taken on some so-called important mission, but to care about others and help them along the path to healing, love and serenity.


I learn:

         When I am trying to control another person or a situation, I actually relinquish control. In other words, when I allow someone or a situation to dominate my thoughts, reactions and/or responses----I give up personal control.

         [Remembering a word picture by a LEO in an earlier FORUM: When driving in traffic, on someone’s bumper as if to push them onward, we cannot see beyond the car in front of us. So we are actually controlled by the car in front.]

         The three Cs of Al-Anon say (of alcoholism): I did not Cause it; I cannot Control it; and I cannot Cure it.

         I can only “control” myself---my own actions, reactions, responses. When I am “in control” of myself, I live in peace and serenity. In other words, when I am in control of my own thoughts, reactions and/or responses, I retain personal control and live in peace and serenity.

Wisdom from other Al-Anon members:

         How empty of me to be so full of you.

         Don’t create a crisis.

         Light dispels the darkness.

         ‘Fear’ is often the instigator of unwanted controlling behaviors.

What does God say?

         When reviled, revile not again. (See 1 Peter 2:23.)

         I am crucified with Christ. (See Galatians 2:20.)

         I crucify the flesh. (See Galatians 5:24; Romans 8:13-14.)

         I die daily. (See 1 Corinthians 15:31.)

[Other bible verses about dying to self:

         Galatians 2:20 --- I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

         Luke 9:23 --- And he said to [them] all, If any [man] will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me.

         Galatians 5:24 --- And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.

         Mark 8:35 --- For whosoever will save his life shall lose it; but whosoever shall lose his life for my sake and the gospel's, the same shall save it.

         John 12:24 --- Verily, verily, I say unto you, except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit.

         Romans 6:1-23 --- What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound? (Read More...)

         Matthew 10:38 --- And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me.

         Philippians 2:1-30 - If [there be] therefore any consolation in Christ, if any comfort of love, if any fellowship of the Spirit, if any bowels and mercies, (Read More...)

         1 Corinthians 15:31 --- I protest by your rejoicing which I have in Christ Jesus our Lord, I die daily.

         1 Peter 2:24 --- Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.

         1 Peter 4:1-11 --- Forasmuch then as Christ hath suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves likewise with the same mind: for he that hath suffered in the flesh hath ceased from sin; (Read More...)

         Colossians 3:3 --- For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God.

         Romans 12:1 --- I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, [which is] your reasonable service.

         2 Corinthians 5:17 --- Therefore if any man [be] in Christ, [he is] a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

         2 Corinthians 4:8 --- [We are] troubled on every side, yet not distressed; [we are] perplexed, but not in despair;

         Philippians 1:21 --- For to me to live [is] Christ, and to die [is] gain.]

         If a man compels you to go with him one mile, go with him two. (See Matthew 5:41.)

         If a man asks for your coat, give him your cloak as well. (See Luke 6---especially verses 27-36.)

         You will lend and not borrow. (See Deuteronomy 28:12.)

         Jesus said, Blessed is he who is not offended because of me. (See Matthew 11:6.)

         Good sense makes one slow to anger, and it is his glory to overlook an offense. (See Proverbs 19:11.)

         This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh. For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would. But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law. (See Galatians 5:16-18.)

         For if you live to the you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live. (See Romans 8:13.)

         Set your affections on things that are above. (See Colossians 3:2.)

         Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (See Philippians 4:8.)

         For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? But we have the mind of Christ. (See 1 Corinthians 2:16.)

         We have not been given a spirit of fear, but [a Spirit] of power and of love and of a sound mind. (See 2 Timothy 1:7.)

         But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty; and base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are: That no flesh should glory in his presence. But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption: That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord. (See 1 Corinthians 1:27-31.)

© Copyright 2018 Maria Mize (UN: kimbro1958 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Maria Mize has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/929886-HOW-TO-LET-GO-AND-LET-GOD---March-3