*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/930568-Women-In-History
Rated: 13+ · Book · Family · #2058371
Musings on anything.
#930568 added March 13, 2018 at 12:35pm
Restrictions: None
Women In History
         If stopped on the street, by Jay Leno or some other celebrity known for these street quizzes, and asked what famous women you know from history, what would you answer? The only ones shown on TV, of course, would be the ignorant or silly answers, especially if they said they were teachers. People who could really answer would not be TV worthy. But there are so many who do have dumb answers or no answers!

         For this particular question, a few names come to my mind. They might not be the most important to a historian, but they seem worthy in my limited knowledge. Maggie Walker was an outstanding banker and a legend when I was a child. Lottie Moon was a missionary to China when women were not respected there, but who managed to hold her own with the men in charge. She also changed the way that missions were supported, empowering women at home in the U.S. to have some control and input. We all know the names Nellie Bly, reporter, Clara Barton, nurse, and Florence Nightingale, a British nurse. We know the name Rosa Parks, but few people realize that she was a Christian who found her courage because of her religious faith.

         As kids, we learned about Dolly Madison, who helped save some things when the White House was set on fire, Sacajawea, guide to the explorers, Pocahontas, Indian princess, Betsy Ross, credited with sewing the flag, Jane Adams, advisor to her political husband. We studied about Marie Curie, scientist. There are many names in European monarchy, and world leaders like Indira Gandhi, Golda Meir, Eva Perone, and Margaret Thatcher.

         Some people would point to fashion innovators, or celebrities whose names will linger after their moment in the spotlight is over. There are media moguls like Oprah Winfrey and Helen Gurly Brown who had an impact beyond their own immediate fans. I can think of so many historical women, but I have to mull over their worthiness to be listed. Were they just famous, like Big Nose Kate-girlfriend of Doc Holiday? Or did they have some impact on society, like changing education or the culture.

         So who do you think of? Without pausing or researching, what women stand out in your mind?


© Copyright 2018 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/930568-Women-In-History