*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/931778-Carver-and-Washington
Rated: 13+ · Book · Family · #2058371
Musings on anything.
#931778 added March 31, 2018 at 1:44am
Restrictions: None
Carver and Washington
         A remark by another writer about George Washington Carver brought some things to mind. The set up didn't allow me to respond directly to her. It would be lost with about 30 comments or more in between and would seem disjointed. I didn't want it to appear like some disagreement.

         There is a national park in Diamond, MO, which I have not seen, named for Carver. He is a native of that state. (I haven't seen a lot of national parks, but I would like to visit.) I remember studying about him in grade school. It was a white school, since desegregation hadn't occurred yet. We learned that he was a scientist who had invented over 300 uses for the peanuts besides snacking on them as grown. He was presented to us as one of the great scientists of that century, since he not only gave us peanut butter and peanut oil, but revolutionized farming by reducing soil erosion. He had taught Southerners to rotate crops. He also was a well-known educator. He was not presented to us as a black scientist, since "black" wouldn't become a popular term for a few more years. He was just a scientist and professor.

         We also studied Booker T. Washington as a great reformer and educator who helped rebuild the South after the Civil War. I remember reading his book Up From Slavery, as I did a reading list to prepare for college. I found it thrilling. It seemed like a basic self-help book and good advice for every person, regardless of skin color or background. It was just so full of common sense and self-dignity. I know it wasn't intended to be an advice book, but was the story of his life. But his life was about lifting up other people, helping them to see things clearly and prioritize. He was such a spiritual person, intent on helping others find their dignity and pride, that you can't help but feel some of that reading his story. And the speeches that he quoted were more exciting. It's like he was more animated when he knew he'd be addressing a live audience than when a person would be quietly reading. I'm sure it must have been exciting to hear him speak.

         I don't know where there are any statues or parks in his honor. There should be. His legacy is taught, at lest in text books. If students are doing their homework, they will know about both men. Maybe too much time has passed since I was a kid, and schools don't get around to it any more. I'm in the South.

         We also learned about Maggie Walker, a woman overlooked outside our state. She was well-known and had a rival high school named after her before my time. (We played football against them.) She was one of the first female bankers in America. A good one. A successful one. And she was black. Women, even black women, who wanted to excel did so. Of course, you need the right education and supporters (parents, teachers). All of these, men and women, serve as an inspiration to all of us, regardless of race, finances, or gender, If we set out to do what is right and help others along the way, we can be achievers.


© Copyright 2018 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/931778-Carver-and-Washington