*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/931935-Essential-Poems--Famous-Lovers
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1197218
Reflections and ruminations from a modern day Alice - Life is Wonderland
#931935 added April 2, 2018 at 11:40am
Restrictions: None
Essential Poems & Famous Lovers
"Blogging Circle of Friends "
DAY 1964: April 2, 2018
Prompt: Poetry? Yes or No. Why or Why not.


Poetry was never the chosen medium for me to express myself. I always needed the forgiving flow of prose. I enjoy poetry however and have tremendous respect for authors who can pen it so effectively. I appreciate the lyrical quality of the poem but some of my favorites are freeform pieces that don't subscribe to more traditional stanzas and rules.

I love TS Elliot's "Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats", the collection of his poems that inspired the famous musical. Lewis Carroll is another favorite who's poems pepper one of my favorite pieces of literature, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland.

Pablo Neruda's poems are beautiful in Spanish and when translated into English, are just as lovely and compelling....

I do not love you as if you were salt-rose, or topaz, or the arrow of carnations the fire shoots off. I love you as certain dark things are to be loved, in secret, between the shadow and the soul.

I love you as the plant that never blooms but carries in itself the light of hidden flowers; thanks to your love a certain solid fragrance, risen from the earth, lives darkly in my body.
From Sonnet 17 by Pablo Neruda's

In my opinion, poetry is a beautiful art form. It is a timeless and essential form of expression.


"Blog City ~ Every Blogger's Paradise"
DAY 1567 Prompt--April 2, 2018
Prompt: What classic book would you love to have reviewed when it was first published? Why?


Hands down it would have to be DH Lawrence's Lady Chatterley's Lover. I would have love to comment on his rich, lush language. As a sometimes writer of erotica, I would have loved to give homage to one of the pioneer's of the genre. Lawrence's portrayal of a strong women exploring her own sensuality despite a rigid society could also be declared as a brave piece of feminism as well. This book gave credence to idea of the female sexual identity. It is no surprise that it was banned, controversial for much more than just its beautifully crafted scenes of intimacy. I would have loved to be a voice of support for the book's merit and for this author's immense talent.

© Copyright 2018 MD Maurice (UN: maurice1054 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
MD Maurice has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/931935-Essential-Poems--Famous-Lovers