*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/931941-Spring-Cleaning
Rated: 13+ · Book · Family · #2058371
Musings on anything.
#931941 added April 2, 2018 at 12:57pm
Restrictions: None
Spring Cleaning
         Despite my motto that only dull women have immaculate homes, I, too, will succumb to spring cleaning. There's the usual sweeping, mopping, and dusting. But there's the closets and drawers that don't get used much; they need attention, too. I do ceiling fans from time to time, but never all at once. Time to do that.

         I'm not going to open all the windows and air out the house which was popular in the past. Pollen is already out, and I don't need to breathe it 24 hours a day. I recently emptied all my kitchen cabinets and refilled them with the help of a cousin. So I'll skip those. But it's time to let go of knickknacks and mementos of things gone past. My generation's memories mean nothing to the younger ones, except maybe family keepsakes. Old table cloths and bed linens that haven't been used need to go. When going through my own clothes, shoes, and jewelry, I'm going to ask, "Do I love it?" If not, that means I'm not going to use it, so get rid of it. If shoes are worn down, except for my lawn and garden shoes, they need to be cast in the trash. Sentimental value for clothes has no place. I have to streamline.

         Some toys and miscellaneous things are going to disappear. Louvered closet doors have to be washed. They look nice, but I'd never choose them again because of the cleaning difficulties. The storm windows need cleaning. Upholstery has to be steamed. Decks and patios need cleaning when it's not so chilly. This whole spring ritual is about getting rid of the dust and the staleness, and refreshing our environment. It helps us to get on with our lives, evaluating our priorities and outlook, and getting a fresh start. It might be more important than New Year's Day and resolutions.

         For instance, I have decided I have too many interests. I like to read, I like to write. I have rooms full of books which I can't give up. I have notebooks, and boxes or notes, and computer files of writing. But I also like to crochet, embroider, sew, and do other crafts. I have a lot of those supplies, too, mine and my mother's which I have not had time while working to use. When doing my spring cleaning, I have to decide whether to keep holding these supplies and unfinished projects or get rid of them. I'm slower than what I used to be. I don't have as much energy. I can't do all the things I want to do. How do I decide what to get rid of? I have to 'spring clean' my life, my goals, my ambitions before I can finish cleaning the house and garage.

         I think it may be why I've had such a prolonged trial sorting and organizing my home. I didn't know what was important to me. I moved into this house, already full with my father's things, and some of what was left of my mother's. All of my brothers and my nieces had left things here. I couldn't get rid of someone else's things, but there really wasn't room for me and my belongings and household goods. Over time, I released some of my things. Then a brother died, and Dad suddenly inherited all of his things. We washed all of his clothes and donated them. He was a collector, so the things he cherished had nostalgic value as well as potential market value. Unfortunately, Dad has ruined a lot of the art work and broken up the unopened toys. It's time to let go of those, even if we lose money.

         I've even wondered if I need to abandon writing. I'm not great at it. It would give me more time to take care of daily living tasks. I'm not happy with that thought. It doesn't last long, but it is a possibility. So I may be writing less while I work on those closets and try to evaluate my direction. It's my head, maybe, that needs the spring cleaning.

© Copyright 2018 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/931941-Spring-Cleaning