*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/932592-100-102
by spidey
Rated: E · Book · Animal · #2144519
a place to express my love for birds
#932592 added April 11, 2018 at 5:43pm
Restrictions: None
#100-102
I've had some great birding in the last few days! Yesterday I saw a glimpse of #100, Brown Thrasher. They're quite common in Spring and Summer. In Spring, they sit at the tops of trees and sing and sing and sing. *Laugh* They repeat phrases twice and run through a whole bunch of repeated songs.

I also saw my first Common Loon   in my county yesterday, too. There were actually two at the lake and I was surprised they weren't skittish at all!

Today I went to Landingville again. First thing, I spotted two Immature Bald Eagles  , then #101, American Coot and then a few #102, Blue-Gray Gnatcatchers  . They sound like the bats from Scooby-Doo! They also have a dark eyebrow that can make them look rather funny depending on the angle *Laugh*



Also of note:

Pied-billed Grebes  

Green-winged Teals  

Pine Warblers  

Rusty Blackbird  

Carolina Wren  

Palm Warblers  

American Coot  


I also accidentally discovered a Canada Goose nest! *Shock* I was watching warblers and a noise caught my attention. I looked up and saw a goose a few feet away from me! She stood up and I saw the nest (with eggs) underneath her. I quickly backed up and she sat back down after grumbling a little. I've heard that geese can get quite mean, but I think she was reluctant to leave the eggs unguarded. The nest was right off the path! It seems like we won't be able to walk around the marsh for about a month or so until the eggs hatch and the goslings leave the nest! (I called the trail managers to let them know. Canada Geese aren't a protected species, but I don't think they'd want anyone hurt by getting too close to the nest!)

It's going to rain the next few days, so I have a feeling I'm going to be watching my bird feeders in my backyard for a bit. *Smile*



© Copyright 2018 spidey (UN: spidergirl at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
spidey has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/932592-100-102