*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/933787
Rated: E · Book · History · #956758
Bios about Henry VIII's wives.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#933787 added May 1, 2018 at 9:08pm
Restrictions: None
Catherine Of Aragon
Catherine was the youngest child of Ferdinand and Isabella of Spain. She was bethrothed at three years of age to Arthur, the son of Henry VII for political reasons. I find this sad when men and women aren't slowed to choose their mate.

When Catherine was 16, she made the journey to England to be with Arthur. She and Arthur were married at Old St. Paul's Cathedral in London on October 2, 1501. She was escorted by the groom's younger brother Henry. {She had no idea that she would be married to him someday.}

Catherine and Arthur lived at Ludrow Castle on the Welsh Border. This castle is still famous today. Less then 6 months after they were married, Arthur died of a sweating disease. Even though this marriage was short, it was an important part of history.

Catherine was a widow. Henry still had a son, Henry VIII who was in great health. The English King was interested in keeping Catherine's dowry, so she was engaged to Henry VIII, another marriage against her will.

Henry VIII and Catherine didn't marry until after the King's death four years later. She was crowned Queen Of England with her husband, June 24, 1509.

Catherine wasn't married very long and she was pregnant. The first child was a stillborn child born prematurely. A year later, a baby was born and he was named Prince Henry but he died 52 days later. Catherine had a miscarriage a few months later. Finally, Catherine gave birth to a daughter Mary who lived.

Henry was upset because he didn't have a male heir. He had two mistresses, Bessie Blount and Mary Boyelan. In 1526, Henry separated from Catherine because he had fallen in love with Mary's sister Anne. Henry asked the Pope for an annulment.

Catherine was kept in the dark about Henry's plan. She was devastated when she found out. The political and legal debate to end the marriage went on for six years. Catherine just wanted to keep her daughter Mary.

Anne Boyelan became pregnant in 1533. Thomes Cranmer granted Henry his annulment after he rejected the Pope's power. Catherine was no longer Queen. She was now the Princess Dowager Of Wales. She refused to accept this title.

Catherine and her daughter were separated and she was forced to leave the court. She lived the next 3 years in unhealthy and dark castles. She accepted her fate and spent a lot of time in prayer. Henry had wanted her to become a Nun but she refused to do so.

Catherine died at Kimbolton Castle and was buried at Peterborough Abbey with the ceremony due for her position as Princess Dowager, not as Queen Of England. A sad end for a former Queen.

** Image ID #726570 Unavailable **



© Copyright 2018 Princess Megan Rose 22 Years (UN: tigger at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Princess Megan Rose 22 Years has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/933787