*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/935418-today-we-honor-our-dead
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Rhyssa
Rated: NPL · Book · Personal · #2150723
a journal
#935418 added May 28, 2018 at 6:50pm
Restrictions: None
today, we honor our dead
What are your feelings for the Memorial Day, and if you were made to serve in a branch of the military, which one would you choose?

Memorial Day as a holiday has always made me sad. It’s right and proper to honor those who fight for the freedoms that people enjoy in the United States, but it’s sad to think of the many who have lost their lives for the people that I love. My great-grandfather (my father’s father’s father) was a WWI veteran who made it over there just to turn around and come back the next day because the war was over. My grandfather (my father’s father) was a WWII veteran. On the day before the war ended in the Pacific, he was the radio man in a bomber that was shot down. There were thirteen men in the aircraft, including the crew and some others. Only five made it, including my grandfather, whose knees were so busted up by the crash that it affected the rest of his life. My father wasn’t acceptable to the military for health reasons. My brother-in-law serves, in one of the military bands. Sometimes, when he is deployed, he’s in danger, but more often he is called on to act as a representative of what is good and talented in the armed forces. I am grateful for all of their service, and for those who don’t make it home again.

I don’t think the military would have me for health reasons. My eyesight is awful (as in, without my glasses, I can’t see the words on my computer screen) and I have type one diabetes. I’m insulin dependent. I couldn’t serve anywhere without refrigeration capability. I’ve heard of people with diabetes who wanted to serve who were not allowed because of the insulin dependence. But military service was never something I wanted—I’m not good with taking orders from someone I’m not convinced knows more than me, and that’s something that soldiers need. None of the branches really appeal.

© Copyright 2018 Rhyssa (UN: sadilou at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Rhyssa has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/935418-today-we-honor-our-dead