*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/936912-First-Families
Rated: 13+ · Book · Family · #2058371
Musings on anything.
#936912 added June 26, 2018 at 11:37am
Restrictions: None
First Families
         I have never approved of attacking first ladies or first children, no matter what party the president led. I have switched around in party affiliation myself, but have always felt like the wives and offspring should not pay for my disapproval of the head of household.

         I remember when Amy Carter and young Chelsea Clinton were attacked. I was outraged that anyone could criticize or ridicule a child. The first Mrs. Bush was ridiculed for being matronly, and not wearing designer clothes. I wanted to shout at the media to MYOB. So what? How about covering something newsworthy? If they are attending some awards gala, where all the stars are showing off, okay, let the fashion people cover them. But what they wear hardly belongs on the evening news or warrants a political commentator's time.

         I remember being infuriated when people criticized Clinton's wife because she was intelligent and had a good education. (As a candidate running for office, she's open game, but not as first lady.) Mrs. Obama did make a few overt comments that were hard to ignore, but the rest of her life should have been free from commentary. Now with Melania, people are putting words in her mouth, assuming they understand what she's going through, or are wearing t-shirts "sympathizing" with her. She's a grown woman. She knew who she was marrying, and what was going to happen in the White House. She had a good income and fame without him. No one needs to feel sorry for her or make up any gossip about her or her marriage. Leave her alone. Leave them all alone. Leave all future first ladies alone. MYOB.

         If we have a woman president in the future, will the media criticize his suits, his casual wear? Will they presume he feels emasculated or neglected? Will he be subjected to constant ridicule or accused of influencing his wife too much? As for attacking the kids for being kids, that has always been wrong and will continue to be wrong. Suggesting that they be kidnapped or hurt is sick. Peter Fonda deserves some jail time for his ugly remarks about a twelve year old boy. He has only proved how depraved and distorted his mind really is. Nobody's kid deserves to be harmed or violated in order to hurt the parent. People who think that way are not normal and are not socially acceptable. Apparently he doesn't realize that what he has suggested is not only immoral and disgusting, but is illegal.

         Civility and decency seem to be lost in America today. Sane thinking may be on its way out. The rich and the famous can act in ways that go against the moral fiber of the average American. Something is really rotten, but not in Denmark.

© Copyright 2018 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/936912-First-Families