*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/940766-Summer-Day-Camp-for-Seniors
Rated: 13+ · Book · Family · #2058371
Musings on anything.
#940766 added September 3, 2018 at 9:40pm
Restrictions: None
Summer Day Camp for Seniors
{{size:4}indent}For the first time, I went to Camp Young At Heart for the whole session (3 days). Anyone over 50 is welcome. It's held in my community every year at a very busy church near the shopping mall on the north side of town. The first day has the best turnout each year. Old people get tired and drop out, or like me, last year, other things come up for self or family, and you can't stay all day or don't make it back.

         Sounds like a snooze fest? Maybe I really am right for it, though Heavens knows I'm not old enough! I work out in the gym at least twice a week, and babysit, etc. The opening is just a sing along and the usual opening remarks. It seemed the most boring, but I wanted to appear fully involved. Actually, I got some great stories from the Oriental preacher. Then we break up for classes and have a bag lunch before the third one. Classes depend on what teachers are available. There was one theology class. In the past they had a professional photographer talk about phone cameras. There is usually an art class, this year was print blocking. I took "Lessons From the Silver Screen", and it was great. A large number of people took it, and we were all opinionated! We watched clips and discussed them.

         There was Tai Chi, which I found exciting. I can't balance myself to point my toe outward, but maybe if I practiced more. It's good for balance, pain management, and protecting your spine. Advanced students can use it for self defense. It's fascinating to watch. We all enjoyed it, and all but one feeble lady came back the other days.

         There was a make and take crafts class. This one really made me feel like a kid in summer camp, but I have a new ornament and a red ribbon wreath!. It does feel good to hold something you made with your own hands.

         I came away with two ideas that I will have to make happen. A movie club instead of a book club would allow us to pick a movie and then discuss it after viewing the whole thing. A small group that remained the same each time could meet in homes. A bigger or open group would have to meet in a church or school. I say no refreshments served. You're on your own, just like at the movies. Not to include children.

         My second idea was a poetry circle. We start out with the idea of writing poetry, even if you haven't tried since you were a kid, That would mean reviewing the forms and elements of poetry. Folks could take turns presenting a favorite poet and reading to us for discussion. I could start it out, and let a true leader evolve to take over. The goal would be to write a little each meeting. Maybe no great poetry would ever happen, but we'd deepen our appreciation for it. My church would be a great meeting place. We'd invite people from other churches and within our neighborhood.

         Don't be narrow minded. Stay young forever. Go to camp!

© Copyright 2018 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/940766-Summer-Day-Camp-for-Seniors