*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/940994-One-Voice
Rated: 18+ · Book · Comedy · #2161749
Just shooting the poop with Lori
#940994 added September 7, 2018 at 5:06pm
Restrictions: None
One Voice
One Voice Written by Lori Grawitch

So it doesn't really matter that she isn't as funny as she thinks she is. Everyone always laughs at her comments. This is how it always goes in this class. She rules our little group. It is of no consequence that her comments are often hurtful if you are the one chosen to be taunted for the week. No one ever quite knows why they are chosen for the week; you just know on Monday that it is going to be a long unrelenting week. Then you pray that it won't turn into 2 weeks due to some unknown social misstep of your own doing. You just have to survive. I am actually safe for this week.

The object of her scorn this week was Tibby, short for Tabitha. Tibby is a very "tall for her age", slender girl with eyes the shape of almonds. Her eyes are the darkest brown, intense globes that I have ever seen. She is totally unaware of how beautiful she is and never seems comfortable in her own skin. If possible, she may actually be less confident about her place in this class than I am.

I feel very sorry for Tibby right now as Lexa is telling the class that they should start calling her Tibby Tower because she is so tall. Lexa says," Hey guys, maybe we can go visit the tower sometime. Tibby, can we climb on you like the famous towers in England?" It was just like Lexa to take a trait that she knew bothered you and draw attention to it. Tibby just walks away to bury her nose in a book as the "in" group snicker. So many times I wanted to stand up to Lexa. In fact, I have dreams about it. It isn't my fear of being physically hurt, as those wounds would heal. It is the fear of being alone for the rest of my school days.

When I am in my right mind, I know that, as an adult, I will not have to deal with such trivial happenings. There will be other worries I am sure, but at the moment my day to day life is a minefield with my teenage sensibilities stuck in the middle. Steering my way through this ego busting, soul fracturing booby trap is a full-time job.
As my thoughts return to the present, Lexa is drawing an exaggeratingly long stick figure on the expo board with the label "The Tower of Pearlmont Middle School" Lexa's entourage is firmly planted by her side giggling. Lexa is smiling viciously as her white blonde ponytail bobs excitedly, emphasizing the importance of her artwork. As I look at Lexa with her fine white porcelain skin, perfectly arched brows, green sapphire eyes framed with golden lashes, I don't see the beauty that others do. I see no shred of humanity in that soul, crushing any true beauty that others seem to worship.

I glance over at Tibby who is now buried in bean bag chair with a book covering her face, hoping to tune the whole world out. I mentally try to send messages of support to Tibby knowing truthfully that they were blocked by all of the drama currently occurring in this room. I pretend to drop my books on the floor hoping to cause a distraction to give Tibby momentary relief. The green-eyed glare I receive from Lexa causes me to instantaneously cease my intercession on Tibby's behalf. Instead, I quietly retrieve my books and avert my eyes from the entire scene. I will regret that decision for my entire life.

Mr. Marshall enters the room and hastens the stragglers to their seats. He erases the board without even a glance or comment to the artist. I lost a lot of respect for that man that day. He had the power to control the situation but didn't. Looking back, I will realize that he was probably oblivious to the whole event, but at that moment I had made him omnipotent in putting an end to these classroom torture sessions.
Tibby had a very rough week, as evidenced by her daily red-rimmed eyes. We were not close friends so I did not know whether her family were Tibby cheerleaders or whether drama also surrounded her at home. You were never quite sure what a person had to deal with once they left the hallowed halls of the Middle school. I hoped desperately for her sake that someone at home had her back and just so happened to tell her that she was beautiful. My reason for this is complete and utter guilt: I didn't have the balls to stand up for her and I knew how wrong that was but unable to change things at this moment in time.

I dreamed of standing up to Lexa I think I just dreamed of being a stronger person. .I don't know if you have heard the term "payback is a B----" or, better yet, "Karma sucks" - well it was my turn the following week! If I had just stood up for Tibby maybe I wouldn't have to survive my hell week. My faux paw was wearing the exact same pearl accented lavender sweater as Lexa on Monday morning. It was a gift from a favorite aunt. I felt so special that morning as I put the soft delicate sweater on and I loved my aunt for giving it to me. As I looked in the mirror, I caught a glimpse of the person that I was becoming and the miracle of all miracles I didn't hate her. I didn't resent what I wasn't for just 5 minutes. I could pass for a normal girl if the mirror was being honest in its reflection. Here I was, not too tall and not too short with still some growing to do; my chest, just the right size - not flat and not buxom; nothing to make fun of there. Puberty had caused my hips to curve ever so slightly just enough to make my profile unboard like. I had a figure of sorts which in this teen world is a good thing. My hair was dark blond with wispy curls and golden flecks of color. My grandmother often told me my hair was woven with little pieces of angels light, this morning it didn't remind me of a calico cat. My eyes, again always brought to mind the attributes of that same calico cat, never quite an obvious color blue or green. Today in the mirror they shined a definite sparkling green. I was having a good day and almost excited about going to school. I hoped that maybe everyone would see me as I saw myself this morning.
I had spent so much time in front of the mirror that I was almost late for school. As I ran out the door, my Mom blew a kiss while whispering, "Honey you look so pretty." I winked at her hoping that she knew just how much love was wrapped up in that simple eye twitch. The bus was at the curb. As everyone knows, PDA, especially for family, is outlawed among teens. As I walked on the bus, I felt good about me and was happy with the reception I received. No one stared too long and a few even smiled. Things were going well for me. I think this just might be a really good week.

The trouble started as we departed the bus. As we did every day, we gathered in the cafeteria to await the ringing of the bells signaling the start of class. I walked into the cafeteria where Lexa and her entourage huddled close to the front door at the first table.

This table was only for the socially accepted group as dictated by Lexa. The horror of horrors, I noted, as I passed the table, that Lexa was wearing my sweater - the same sweater that I so loved! It was quite obvious that she noticed as well, for the evil glare was directed at none other than me. I could actually feel my body shrivel as I walked to the table farthest away. It seemed as if out of thin air, Tibby was there asking if she could sit with me. With a distracted wave of my hand, I invited her to take a seat.

I said, "You may not want to sit here though. It might get kind of ugly. It appears it is going to be my week on the Lexa hit list."

Tibby said, "I know. That is why I am here. Really, it will be alright." I looked at Tibby, thinking again how truly awesome she was, but all I could say was, "You think?"
Before she could answer, the hair on the back of my neck was standing up, Lexa was moving towards me. What I couldn't see was the carton of chocolate milk in her hand, but apparently, Tibby did.

As I turned around, I could hear Lexa say with a grinding voice, "Nice sweater Lawrence", using only my family name which is all Lexa ever used when she spoke to me. I don't remember her ever deigning to use my given name of Lorelei. She made it quite clear that it was beneath her social stature. While my mind tried to form a witty reply to Lexa, I caught a glimpse of the milk in her hand. I knew that I was going to be wearing that chocolate milk in about 2 seconds. It all happened so fast. I saw Tibby all arms and legs falling towards Lexa. The milk with all of its brown staining liquid capability pouring endlessly down the front of Lexa's beautiful lavender sweater. You could almost touch the indignant outrage foaming from Lexa. Tibby landed in a chair at a table opposite the table we had been sitting.
Tibby said, "Lexa, I am so sorry. I tripped on the table leg. I am such a klutz being such a tower and all." It was Tibby's way of telling Lexa that this dominating hatred needed to be over. Lexa, however, was having none of this. For her, the war was just beginning.

She screamed," Look what you did to my sweater you stupid ape. You will pay for this." Tibby stood up next to Lexa, towering over her. She said "Lexa, I am so sorry but I was actually just trying to catch you so you wouldn't fall into Lorelei with the chocolate milk. I would be glad to pay for your sweater."
Sensing trouble on his turf, the cafeteria monitor, a nerdy plaid-suited gentleman appeared. "Everything alright over here," he barked, trying to sound bigger than his actual size. Taking one look at Lexa, he commanded, "Go get cleaned up before the bell rings." Turning to Tibby, the plaid power trip gentleman said, "Are you hurt after that fall? Do we need to go to the office?"

Tibby whispered," No, I am fine." The monocled monitor grunted, "Then I think you better watch yourself from now on." He winked at Tibby as he walked away. I was blown away, the monitor had known that Tibby's fall was not an accident and was giving her a free pass. He had witnessed Lexa's reign of terror for these many months and was now siding with the bullied. The monitor's name came to mind at that time with a newly inspired respect. It was Mr. Norton Grahm

The bell rang louder than normal, it seemed, but maybe it was just that the cafeteria was so quiet with everyone waiting for something to happen. We still had to pass Lexa's group of friends who stared at us intently from the front of the cafeteria. Mr. Grahm, seeming to be a plaid-coated herder of sheep, rushed up front to shoo them out to class. I was again thankful for the quiet monitor.
"Tibby?", I said. "Why did you do that? for me?"

"No. Most definitely for all of us. What...well the things that she does, they just aren't right. I just lost it when I saw her coming at you with the milk."

"But you know she is going to make it awful for you? I don't want that to be because of me."
"Well, she is not going to be so nice to you either. So it looks like we are in this together. Welcome to Lexa's School of Hell", Tibby said. "And that is how the best of friendships are started, united front and all."
I could feel my chin drop giving flies the opportunity to rush into the cavern which was my mouth if they so chose, as my mother always told me. I don't know if this was out of fear of the revenge we were sure to face or shock at someone actually calling me a friend. Either way, things were going to get very interesting around here. I hoped that I was up to both challenges.

Mr. Grahm randomly reappeared after clearing the halls and provided us with passes to get safely to our class. I learned so much that day about judging people based only on their looks. Mr. Grahm wasn't anything like I expected. For just a moment, I pictured him as the once bullied kid that was now a survival story helping others. It made me feel so much more confident about our chances.
Luckily, Tibby and I shared French class as our first hour. We didn't have to enter alone which made it much better. All of the kids were gabbing enthusiastically when we entered. The rancorous noise of teen gossip ceased abruptly as all eyes came to rest upon the cause of all the gossip - Tibby and I. We walked a tightrope line to our desks. Mrs. Eugene entered shortly after we were seated, eager to begin class. She was stopped quickly by Jenna, a Lexa wannabe, waving her hand frantically screaming Mrs. Eugene's name multiple times.
"Yes, Jenna what is it?" Mrs. Eugene questioned sharply

"Did you hear what happened in the cafeteria? Tibby threw chocolate milk all over Lexa's new sweater," Jenna reported.

Now, Mrs. Eugene is a relatively good French teacher but she makes it very clear that she is not fond of teenagers. She wants nothing to do with inner workings of the teenager or the drama that surrounds them. Her camouflaged strategy for pretending to care about their lives is to act strangely in all matters that involve commitment. Jenna was definitely barking up the wrong tree here.

Mrs. Eugene said, "Jenna, you know that if you are going to tell us a story that you must do it in French." Giggles erupted from the class as Jenna sat down. Crisis averted.

The rest of the day passed slowly but smoothly. There were no further encounters, just hushed locker whisperings as we strolled the halls. The word in the school was that Lexa had gone home and not returned that day.
I felt that I at least owed Tibby a free meal for what she had done for me. I asked her to come home with me after school. My other motive was to discuss the best way to handle the crap that was surely going to be heaped on us.

Remarkably she said yes. Maybe there truly was something to this friendship thing.
I knew my mother would go overboard in her welcoming of Tibby. She would bake snacks, enough for 20 people, make cute little jokes, and surely there would be the mention of how nice it was to have Lorelei's little friend visit. I know that she does these things out of love for me but I had to warn Tibby. I didn't want her to think that I was a total Geek.

"Hey, Tibby" I said as the bus pulled up, "my mom is really nice, sometimes too nice. She will probably make a fuss over you. Just ignore it."

"You're funny. I am ok with nice people. It will be ok. No stress," Tibby giggled.

"Ok, but I warned you."

Our bus ride home was quiet and uneventful. The first words sprouting from my mother's mouth were, "Lorelei, I am so glad you brought your little friend home. You must be starving. Come on in, I will make some brownies." Man, I nailed it. She was so predictable but in a good way.
I grabbed Tibby to guide her to my bedroom before my mother started hugging her. That would be embarrassing! It was not totally out of the realm of possibility with my mom, so better for me to intervene quickly. My bedroom sported purple walls, family action photos done in black and white, with bright green bedding and frilly music notes as wall accents. My decked out keyboard was the centerpiece of the room. I had always considered it my safe haven, but with Tibby's presence, I feared it was a little too intimate and telling of my true persona.

Tibby's reaction, "Wow this is so cool. I would love to have my own room. I have to share mine with my little sister the slob. She drives me nuts but for the most part, I am glad that she is there. It is nice having another girl to talk to. My mom died 2 years ago and as hard as my dad tries to make it ok, I still miss her like crazy. My dad is a lot like your mom, all friendly and always smiling. Trying to make sure everything is perfect for his girls but I know he is hurting just as much as we are. We just don't talk about what makes us sad, but Kandi and I," her sister, I assumed, "talk about her often. My dad is so crazy he even offered to take me bra shopping this year before school. Of course, he just whispered, 'Tibby are you going to need any special new undergarments this year?' I about died and told him no that I would be just fine. Luckily my aunt shows up every couple of months to take us out for all of our girl shopping needs. I love those shopping trips. My aunt looks just like I remember my mom. I would like you to meet her sometime. She is not my mom but she is the closest thing I have to one." Tibby was almost out of breath from this long narrative. I realized that she was just as nervous about sharing the details of her life as I was about mine. As a teenager, it is hard to think that someone might find the things that you know and love, nerdy or strange. Tibby had decided that getting the awkward details out of the way was the easiest way to bridge this new friendship.
That moment of silence as you try to steer the conversation into a more comfortable realm was blown away by my mom hollering, "Girls, the brownies are ready." We laughed out loud. Go figure, my mother had perfect timing. We ran to get our chocolate gooey snack with girly glee.

When we returned to my room we were all about the business of the coming days. First was the pact we made to stand up for each other. It was a very solemn pact made as if we had been "friends forever through thick and thin" type promises. As I made my oath, in my heart I hoped and prayed that I would have the strength to keep it. Next came the work of actual plans. We laid out our class schedules to align common times that we were together. Such times were less worrisome. It was the times that we were apart that Lexa was sure to attack. Lexa had that divide and conquer mentality, preying on the weak and vulnerable. My first available victim time would be this Thursday. Lucky me, I shared a gym class with Lexa. Now for most teenagers, school locker rooms are nightmarish abominations by themselves. If you add Lexa into the mix, pictures of hell, death, and horror came to mind. Needless to say, it stirred more than a little fear in every fiber of my being. It was decided that at least this week until we knew where we were going with our plans, I would be suffering from terrible menstrual cramps and unable to participate in PE. I had no doubt that my mother would write the note for me because I was not a complainer. If I said I had something wrong with me then she would definitely believe me and move heaven and earth to help me through it. That was the beauty of my mom; you could always count on her.

Our thoughts soon turned to ways to take down Lexa. There were definitely ideas of revenge discussed and silly thoughts of totally embarrassing her in front of the school. The one thing that Tibby and I discovered is that we didn't want to be like Lexa. Revenge is all good in theory, but you still have to like yourself at the end of the day.
The main question was how do you get other kids to see that they had blindly turned over all of their power to one person? We needed to get other people on our side and convince them that we could coexist in this school without all of the drama. If we could all end up as friends that would be great, but our true goal was to stop the mean antics of middle school life.

Tibby and I worked out every detail possible. It was so fun to feel like part of a team. I don't think I have ever put as much effort into a project as I did for this one. It was just too important that our plan works without a hitch.
Our plan, as we devised it, was going to need many other people to truly work. We were going to have to rely on other kids who had also been Lexa's victim. Tomorrow at school, the work of enrolling our supporters would begin. The task of getting them to join our team, when they all had been so afraid to stand up for themselves for so long, was a daunting one.

Tibby started talking about a girl that she knew from math class. Her name was Anna and described by Tibby as a very timid girl that Lexa bullied on a daily basis. Tibby said, "Anna is so quiet you can barely hear her speak. She puts up with all of Lexa's crap. I always feel so bad for Anna but she always has this quiet calm nature, like nothing bothers her."

"One day about 6 months ago, I was invited to church by a family friend. We have gone every Sunday since. It is a beautiful church and everyone is so nice. I like going there 'cause... well it makes me feel like my mom is with me." Tibby paused, took a deep breath and continued on. "So a few weeks ago, at Church, I look up in the choir and who do I see but Anna. I don't know if she saw me or not. Lorelei, when she opened her mouth to sing, all I could do was stare. It was amazing that this girl who could barely speak to people was standing up to sing a song to God. I wanted to tell her later how good she was but I wasn't sure if maybe she just liked having that one thing for herself and maybe didn't want other kids to know about that part of her life. You know what I mean?"
I said, "Yeah I do. I really do", as I recalled being too afraid to hug my mother this morning. Some special things you just want to keep for yourself. "Do you think she would be willing to help us?"
Tibby said, "I don't know but I sure hope so. I am telling you that Anna's voice will make people listen."
It was 5:30 before we knew it and time for Tibby to go home. We agreed that Anna would be the first person we talked to in the morning. If we could get her on board, the rest of the school "nerd" population would be easy. Before Tibby left, we renewed our pledge to stick together.

The next day Tibby and I met at the depot in front of the school where the bus had deposited us. I could tell that she was just as excited as I was. It was the dawning of a new middle school day for us. Tibby said, "I couldn't sleep last night. I was too jittery. I used all my energy to write this. Tell me what you think."
We sat at our usual table in the cafeteria awaiting the first bell while I read what Tibby had written. I couldn't believe it. Tibby had written the words I had so many times felt in my heart. I was afraid to look at her because I knew that I would tear up. Keeping my head bowed to the paper I said, "Tibby this is awesome! YES, I believe this is really going to work now! I can't believe you did this. You are good." Tibby blushed just as the bell rang to hail us to homeroom.
Tibby said, "I am counting on you to put music to those words. Do you think you can do it?"
I said, "I will do my best."

Tibby and I wrote a note to Anna asking her to meet us during lunch. We passed the note to her in the hall on our way to homeroom. Hopefully, she would trust us enough to show up.
In homeroom, Lexa was ever present and as always steering the conversation to her immediate concerns - herself. We ignored her and entered waiting for her attack. The difference today was that we entered together. It didn't seem as scary. The stares were obvious as we sat down but just as obvious was the fact that Lexa was controlling the crowd. Whatever she had planned was going to happen on her timetable. Setting us up to wonder and worry when it was going to happen was part of her fun. I again thought of her beauty as a hiding place for evil.
The morning passed without much ado. We were purposely being left alone to await our doom. Middle School is a strange place with walls built of teenage stress.

Anna met with us in the cafeteria at our usual table in the back. Tibby introduced me. I had remembered seeing Anna before but I was a little sad that I had never remembered talking to her. She had dark brown braids and glasses. She was very tiny and everything about her seemed soft. Her eyes were a slate grey, her smile tilted awkwardly to the left, and her nose was petite even for her small round face. Nothing about her said, "Hey, look at me", but you couldn't help but be drawn into the soft kindness of her person. How I had missed that is remarkable. But now, maybe for the first time, my eyes were seeing the real world and the people in it.

Anna said very softly, "You wanted to see me?"

Tibby said, "Have a seat. Do you know Lorelei?"

Anna nodded, even that was a soft nod.

Tibby went on, "Have you heard about our run-in with Lexa?" Again, Anna nodded softly. Tibby said, "We have to fix this fast and we really want your help. First, I have to tell you that I have heard you singing in church. You have a beautiful voice. I don't know if you saw me but I did not know you could sing like that. I was blown away."
Anna stared at the table while saying, "Yes, I saw you there. Thank you. I don't know how that helps you though."

Tibby and I proceeded to lay our plan out for Anna. In hushed voices behind the loud roar of the cafeteria happenings, we told her everything. Anna stared at us with her slate grey eyes wide, but her smile wasn't so awkward anymore. Tibby showed her the words that she had written. I swear Anna looked just as connected to words on that page as I did this morning. If I had known that so many people had the same thoughts and dreams, these past months of middle school terror would never have existed. Anna was in.

We spent the next few hours of school spreading the word to the rest of Lexa's victims. Occasionally we would turn to see Lexa and her cronies observing us or possibly preparing themselves for the attack against us. It was glorious that we didn't seem to care about their plan anymore. It was now all about us trying to stand up for ourselves. The great thing was that there were so many kids willing to stand up with us now. Because I had isolated myself in my own small cage of imperfections and social fears, I had missed seeing how others were affected by the same drama. By the end of the day, we had secured enough social misfits to put our plan into action at 11 a.m. the next day.

Today, Tibby and I rode the bus to Anna's house after school. As we walked into her house, I was touched that even Anna's home was soft and inviting. We ran straight to Anna's room barely taking a moment to meet her petite mother whose eyes were also slate grey. Anna definitely favored her mother.

Once upstairs we began to watch as Anna and I put music to the words that Tibby had written. It was so fun to be a part of this process. Anna whispered, "Lorelei you play beautifully." I couldn't believe that she was giving me a compliment. Anna had a talent that she accepted as just part of who she was. She didn't think of herself as remarkable or extraordinary because of this ability. It was here in this room that I heard her sing for the first time. I don't know if it was her voice or Tibby's beautiful words, but I felt pride in myself and my friends. I only hoped that when our plan was done, that everyone could feel as I did at that moment.
It was almost 8 pm before we were done. My mother picked Tibby and I up from Anna's, taking us to our respective homes. It was very hard for us to separate for the night, as we had found strength in each other.

I actually slept well that night. We had a plan. I felt good about it and no one would be hurt by our plan. Somehow, feeling like a good person makes you feel like an even better person. I did manage to secure my note for missing PE from my mom before bed. Just in case I needed it.

I awoke in a panic thinking that I had overslept. I rushed down the stairs almost knocking my mother down. She said, "Good morning, Lorelei. My, you are certainly in a hurry, but you have plenty of time." As she gazed at the mantel clock she questioned, "Are you ok? Your face is very flushed."

My feeling of pride from the previous night filled my head, and I said, "Yes mom, I am good - better than I have been in a long time." I kissed her on the cheek causing her to stare at me with curiosity as I bounded up the stairs to get ready for school.

At our school, one person's name is chosen to read the bulletin and announcements from the principal's office each morning. This happens at 11 am every day with the name chosen out of the bulldog's hat - our school mascot. Every misfit was enlisted to enter Anna's name for selection instead of their own today as part of our plan. Everything hinged on Anna being chosen for our plan to work. Anna was notified at 10 am that she was to report to the office at 10:45. Tibby and I, being in different classes at that time, would request a pass to the nurse's office at the same time. We wanted to make sure that if there was any trouble from the principal, Mr. Pace, Anna would not have to face it alone. We were in this together, no matter what. The momentary worry of having to have that discussion with my mother passed through my brain but it wasn't stopping me. This was too important.

We met at the office, precisely on time. As Anna entered the office, the principal handed her the announcements, gave a rudimentary guide to the use of the PA system, and exited to his office. He didn't even notice Tibby and I as we entered. He closed his door without looking back but reminded Anna to wait until after the 11 am bell.

The next person to enter the office was Mr. Grahm. He nodded and said, "Oh, don't let me bother you; I just need to steal Mr. Pace for a moment. He is needed down in the gym." He winked at us. The plaid-suited man was helping us yet again. He quickly escorted Mr. Pace away from the office. I swore to myself that when I was an adult I would ask Mr. Grahm why he had helped us.

The bell rang seemingly louder than other days. Tibby took the microphone to start with the headline: "We interrupt today's announcements for this anti-bullying program. Stop what you are doing and listen, please. We would like you to stand up now with us in taking our school back. If you are tired of feeling alone and afraid, join us in saying enough is enough. We will not allow any more intimidation and fear in our school. We will respect each other and embrace our differences. Today is the day we start to stand up for one another. We take this pledge that no person shall ever be afraid again at Pearlmont."

I then read the words that had touched my heart so greatly the previous day.

"Self-worth is not measured by the outer package
My ego refuses to be defined by your concepts
My value on this earth defies your grading system
No mortal scale shall weigh appraisal of my beauty
Camera lens breathes impotent in capturing essence
Your photo of me does not speak of who I am
No hazard risk was taken to know the caliber of character
True worth blooms from the heart and soul of the individual
My spirit shall not be contained in a carton of your making
I love, I care, I embrace, I grow, I dream, I am me
I share faith, I share heart, I share soul, and I share myself
Exterior display is no witness to the quality of the realm within
I am beautiful in being who I am.

Please listen as my friend Anna sings our new rally cry."

"I need to fly, fly through the sky
Being who I was born to be
I don't wanna be just a shooting star
Or a plane that never lands
I don't wanna be just a missile in the dark
Or a seed that never blooms
I don't wanna be just a song left to sing
I need to fly, fly through the sky
Being who I was born to be

It takes just one voice to heal the wound
Let your one voice be heard today
Let your one voice ring out to say
We are one, We are all
Stand with me, I'll stand with you
We are one we are all
Together in this universe
Let this one voice lift you up

I need to fly, fly through the sky
Being who I was born to be
I don't wanna be just a light that never shines
Or a story never told
I don't wanna be just a miracle unseen
Or a kiss that's left unspent
I don't wanna be just a hope never born
I need to fly, fly through the sky
Being who I was born to be

It takes just one voice to end the pain
Let your one voice be heard today
Let your one voice ring out to say
We are one, We are all
Stand with me, I'll stand with you
We are one we are all
Together in this universe
Let this one voice lift you up

I need to fly, fly through the sky
Being who I was born to be
I don't wanna be a soul that withers and dies
Or a prayer that's left unsaid
I don't wanna be just a dream never lived
Or a faith that's never shared
I don't wanna be that cross never bared
I need to fly, fly through the sky
Being who I was born to be

It takes just one voice to call a friend
Let your one voice be heard today
Let your one voice ring out to say
We are one, We are all
Stand with me, I'll stand with you
We are one we are all
Together in this universe
Let this one voice lift you up"

Anna was our leader of song. She stepped up to the mic to give a crystal clear rendition of our melody. Tibby and I contributed the refrain. In my heart, it felt magical, as if we were finally releasing the myriad of thoughts trapped within our teenage pressure cookers. There was no way to be sure if all of this would make a long-term difference, but it felt good to let it out if only for a moment.

Halfway through our song, we turned to see Mr. Pace standing behind us. I was unable to grasp the emotion in the contour of his face. There was no obvious anger to attribute to his mask as he deigned not to cease our song. I was sure our penalty would be ascertained soon enough, but for now, I had a song to sing.

You could hear the noise and chaos coming from the classrooms. You could tell there was pandemonium in the halls. The most amazing thing was that there were people singing with us. They were lifting there voice with ours in unity.

At the end of our song, Mr. Pace took the microphone out of Anna's hand and pointed to her ushering her to his inner office. Mr. Pace lifted his voice loud and clear speaking in his "principal no funny business allowed" voice,

"Please return to your classrooms NOW. No passes will be allowed at this time. You have 5 minutes to make it to where you are supposed to be, otherwise, you will receive a tardy slip. Instructors, please take full attendance, sending me the list when completed. Thank you." Just then he said something wonderful," Please, also remember that it takes just one voice. Be that voice today." The microphone was silenced and the office became deafening with quiet.

Mr. Pace scooted all of us into the office with a waving gesture. Once we were all lined up like ducks at a firing squad in front of his desk, he moved his head back and forth in a shaking motion stopping occasionally to eye each of us individually. He spoke, after what seemed like an eternity. "You went about this in the wrong way. Never are you allowed to take over the school. There will be punishment for all of you. My thought is community service so that everyone knows the penalty. I will need to contact your parents."

I opened my mouth to attempt to speak but was on the receiving end of a quite harsh glare so thought better of the idea.

"The community service project will take place one week from today at 2:00 pm in the gym. The entire school will be witness to this project. I will also attempt to have your parents present."
Now, we were all very scared. Anna had tears in her eyes. It felt as if we were being bullied all over again. It seemed that it was going to take a large amount of gumption to survive this middle school experience.
Mr. Pace continued, "There will be an all-school pep rally at which time you will perform your song. The message is much needed and I want to make sure everyone hears it." We stared at him stunned without uttering a word. "I have known for a very long time that we had a problem here at Pearlmont with bullying. All my attempts to alleviate the matter were unsuccessful. Maybe, just maybe, you three have found a way to reach people. You should have talked to me first, my door is always open. Your message, however, is very powerful. Thank you. You are dismissed. Go back to your regular classes. I will contact you about the pep rally tomorrow after I have talked to your parents."
Three stiff, tin soldiers turned abruptly marching out to the hallway in a peaceful stillness. Immediately the quiet was broken by fellow classmates. We were rushed and surrounded by the crowd. There were hugs, high fives, and pat-a-backs. It was the first time I felt comfortable in my own school.

We were not crazy enough to believe that all of our problems were over but maybe there were people willing to stand for each other now. There will always be people like Lexa, but it takes one voice to make a difference.

© Copyright 2018 L.A. Grawitch (UN: lgrawitch at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
L.A. Grawitch has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/940994-One-Voice