*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/941814-Recycle-Those-Bras
Rated: 13+ · Book · Family · #2058371
Musings on anything.
#941814 added September 21, 2018 at 10:40pm
Restrictions: None
Recycle Those Bras
         Just passing along some info from Martha Stewart:

         Don't throw away those bras. The bra business is a multi-billion dollar industry each year. Throwing one away is a terrible waste. Most women delay doing so, because they hate shopping for a new one. There is the rising price, plus trying to find the proper fit is difficult and time consuming. Most women don't realize they can't wear the same size forever. Our bodies change due to pregnancy, nursing, dieting, exercising, not exercising, and aging. There's no shame in adjusting downward.

         Martha lists 5 organizations that can use your old ones, even the unwearable ones. Most people shopping at Good Will and other second hand stores are a little weary of used intimate wear. Desperate women who might not have transportation to go to such places might use one in good shape if they have access. Look up Martha's website or magazine for more details or contact these agencies.

         Two focus primarily on recycling the materials. The first is Undie Chest which recycles the cloth in both bras and clean panties. The second is called Bra Recycling Agency. It uses them to make carpet cushion and red carpet (like for celebrities). For this one, you have to order a kit and ship the bras. They extract metal and plastic parts and separate the components (lace, elastic, foam, etc.).

         One that appealed to me is Bras for the Cause Gala. In October they auction off decorated bras. You know something that Madonna or Lady Gaga would wear or that could pass for modern art. You cover it in fabric, upholstery fabric, paper, buttons, sequins, craft items, whatever. Be creative and colorful! You ship it to them. The proceeds of the auction go for research in breast cancer and cervical cancer. Plan one now for next year. Get your artist friends to help.

         Another is called Support the Girls. Really good ones are used for homeless women. Others are sold for their benefit. The last group is called Free the Girls. A little known fact is that slavery is greater now than it was before the Civil War. It involves mostly women and children. The girls benefiting from this charity are sex slaves, many of whom live right here in this country under our noses. Many do not speak English. Rescuing them has to be a big secret mission involving pastors and state police and others. But what are they being freed to? They need a safe place to live, anonymity, jobs, clothing. They get first choice of the donations, but they are also taught to operate a used clothing store and learn all the aspects of retail.

         Granted, there are not collection sights in every town. It will cost you to ship your castaways in. That's why getting together with your friends and relatives or club is a good way to save on shipping. You're helping others, and you're saving the landfills, being a good steward of the environment.

© Copyright 2018 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/941814-Recycle-Those-Bras