*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/943181-SEWING---October-10-2018
Rated: 13+ · Book · Environment · #1392154
A modest journal.
#943181 added October 19, 2018 at 12:10pm
Restrictions: None
SEWING - October 10, 2018
Within the last year I've done sewing alterations for people, trying to make some extra money on the side.  It's caused a lot of stress.  It's one thing doing your own stuff and quite another working on other people's things---when they really don't know the value of the work involved. 

Recently I felt like giving up altogether because of a lack of confidence, undue stress and not much reward for the finished product.  However, within the last few days the desire has been rekindled---by God, I think. 

With His help, my plan is to buy a bunch of remnants and start practicing with different needles and tensions on a variety of fabrics in order to rebuild confidence. 

I sewed a lot as a kid----used to make myself a new dress almost every evening while in high school with interfacing, yolks and zippers up the back.  I used my mom's Singer. Recently, I asked her if I can have that old machine---either now (if she's not using it) or when she passes. She assented.

[She and dad are divvying stuff up among me and my sisters---making lists of "who wants what" and "who gets what" once they pass.  In the legal world, it's called a "separate writing" and is used in conjunction with (in addition to) a will.  It's official but---unlike a will---formal execution before witnesses and a notary is not required. You simply make a list and sign it.]

I bought a Sears Kenmore machine in my early twenties (with a nice sewing table it dropped down into, an attractive piece of furniture when not in use).  I did some sewing then, but not as much as when I was a kid.  I eventually gave it up just prior to moving to Florida---we were limited to what could fit into the car.

A few years ago, in 2007, 2008 or so, I bought another new machine (a Viking Husqvarna, a good personal machine---from what I am told).  I jumped right back into sewing and even took a refresher course at the local fabric shop---made a purse with a lining and strap, and also make a nice pair of pajamas, which I gave to my daughter at Christmas.

Since then I have moved a few times and had to set it (the machine) aside for awhile. 

I thought I could pick right back up, but it's been difficult sewing with a variety a fabrics, tensions, needles and getting it exactly right.  Not only that, but doing alterations is more difficult than making something new.  If the needle is not sharp enough, it knots up the thread and pushes fabric down under the sewing plate, trapping it there, and making it extremely difficult to extricate without damaging the fabric.  This happens repetitively when going into reverse in order to lock stitches at the beginning and end of a sewing line.  Not fun, particularly when working on a project for a customer. 

With renewed vigor, I'm finally excited about sewing again.

© Copyright 2018 Maria Mize (UN: kimbro1958 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Maria Mize has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/943181-SEWING---October-10-2018