*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/944009-Pod-People
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1196512
Not for the faint of art.
#944009 added October 23, 2018 at 12:12am
Restrictions: None
Pod People
https://www.npr.org/2018/10/21/654426576/cant-find-an-affordable-home-try-living...

I'm always amused at how pictures of this sort of thing always present a pristine living space. Looks nice, doesn't it? Almost inviting.

I've sometimes wondered if a lot of domestic problems are caused by people needing their own living spaces to look like the ones in magazines.

I wouldn't know, though, because I've never tried to be that thorough in cleaning or organizing. Takes too long, and then entropy takes over and you just have to do it again and again. I dislike repeating tasks; that's why I learned computer programming. I thought that once I retired, I'd have more time to pay attention to my living space, but no - it turns out it wasn't a matter of available time, but a personality defect. Like the time I thought I only ate fast food because I was too depressed to bother cooking and cleaning up after cooking, so my doctor put me on antidepressants, which only made me eat more fast food and suffer side effects from the antidepressants. I asked her if there was a pill to fix laziness, and she laughed like I was making some kind of joke.

Anyway. I've been saying for years that the solution to the high cost of housing in these areas would be communal living, but oh no, can't have that, so they zone against it. Understand, living in something like that would be a nightmare for me, but I do realize that most people aren't introverts. The tiny house thing unnerves me as well - there is no fucking way you can get me to live in something like that, even alone, for more than a night or two.

But then, I'm financially comfortable and not faced with finding my way in a world spiraling into oblivion. So good on them for finding something that works. I think one of the stupidest things we've ever come up with as a society is the idea that we should work in one place and live in another, and spend half your day commuting between the two. What rocket surgeon came up with that nonsense? Car manufacturers? Live where you work. Arrange society so more people can do this.

Still, I'd love to see a picture of one of these spaces after a bunch of unrelated people have been crashing there for a month. Hell, even a week. I guarantee you I'd see hard evidence of the tragedy of the commons.

© Copyright 2018 Robert Waltz (UN: cathartes02 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Robert Waltz has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/944009-Pod-People