*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/944700-Taste-of-Life-and-See-That-It-Is-Good
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1342524
Reading, Writing, Pondering: Big Life Themes, Literature, Contemporary/Historical Issues
#944700 added November 2, 2018 at 2:58am
Restrictions: None
Taste of Life and See That It Is Good
Blog Prompt November 2, 2018





“Did you know that butterflies taste with their feet? Do you think taste is an under-utilized sense in writing? Reflect on how taste can be better utilized in your writing to enhance a scene.”





Definitely I should learn to utilize the sense of taste more effectively. Five senses, after all, means five, not two (visual and auditory), not three (plus tactility), not four (add olfactory, another sense that troubles me in reality as well as does taste).


:
Five means:


sight


sound


scent


touch (or skin-perception)


taste.






As I worked through the October NaNo Prep, I had occasion to write a Contest Round including all five senses in the setting piece. I did fine with the visual and auditory. I managed, with some effort, the tactility and the olfactory. Then I counted back, and whoa, no taste. Taste?!! Who uses that? Well, writers do, apparently. Decent writers, anyway. (smile) When I had finished, I had the character scenting one type of flower, seeing a different type of flower, and tasting something entirely different. (what was it?)





So as I return to my NaNo writing this early AM, I am going to ponder how to write in a sense of gustatory accomplishment. Wait-- the accomplishment will be mine, if I successfully achieve teaching my characters to TASTE.





““We write to taste life twice, in the moment and in retrospect.”--Anais Nin



© Copyright 2018 Cobwebby Space Reader Reindeer (UN: fantasywrider at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Cobwebby Space Reader Reindeer has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/944700-Taste-of-Life-and-See-That-It-Is-Good