*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/944837-D-Day-Memorial
Rated: 13+ · Book · Family · #2058371
Musings on anything.
#944837 added November 3, 2018 at 11:32pm
Restrictions: None
D Day Memorial
         Today I took a trip to the National D-Day Memorial with 11 friends. It was a beautiful fall day for the trip. The memorial is located in a rural area in honor of all those from Bedford County, Virginia, who died in World War II. They lost more men per capita than any other county in the country. The memorial, on the other hand is for all those who participated in Operation Overlord, which included D-Day. There are monuments and plagues to others who participated in the planning and execution of the operation which turned the war around.

         Recognition is given to all the allies, not just Americans. Full size flags from every country flies in the wind atop the hill. Busts of all the leaders can be found in this great expanse. I loved the artwork. The primary focus is The Gray field and the beach replica. There are bronze statues of marines crawling in the water and sand and coming onto the beach. There is a two story high wall above the "beach" with cascading water. Bronze soldiers are climbing the cliffs. You can find the ramps on either side and walk up top and look at the top soldier face to face. I got dizzy looking over the side at the detail in this work. Just beyond that is a tall arch recalling the Arch d' Triomphe. And there's still more to explore! A grizzly but fascinating statute of Death heads the "Parade" walk. Each side of the base is in a different language. Keep going and there is a Purple Heart monument to all who have been wounded in any American war.

         There are temporary exhibits of army vehicles, ship bells and anchors, and helicopter propeller blades. The airplane had been removed and nothing was in its place today. There is a nice size garden with a statue of Eisenhower. You can opt for a guided tour with a knowledgeable person, or you can explore on your own, which is what I chose to do. A lot of older people visit it, because they were there when very young or knew someone, or their fathers were the war. I saw very few young children, but it was sort of cold until early afternoon. I don't think preschoolers would get much out of it. Third grade and up could appreciate it. Beautiful mountains surround it. This time of year, the plants are dying back, and it looks ready for winter mode, despite the colorful trees.

         Despite its beauty, it's not a place to celebrate or have fun. It's a place for reverence. A place for learning, for showing respect and thankfulness. If you know the background, a little of the orchestration of this operation, of the genius and tactfulness of Eisenhower, you will appreciate this memorial. And like me, you may be fascinated with the artwork.


© Copyright 2018 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/944837-D-Day-Memorial